DVD Burner Now or later..?

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
There are 8x DVD burners out there now. What will I use it for? Well mostly backing up DVDs, and making my own to send to relatives. (Pictures, from my MiniDV cameras).

I made the "mistake" of buying my CDRW for a LOT of money. It was 4 years ago. $250 is insane... unheard of right now, haha. Well it was worth it, now I'm planning on upgrading.

Two choices... either go with the dirt cheap 52x32x52x LiteON CDRW or splurge and get an 8X DVD Burner now.

I hear they still can't do 1:1 copies... something with the double layer thing? Hm...

Depends on what you want to spend on media. I have a 4x since I personally did not see a point in spending the extra money for 8x.

And since it was reported at CES that it would be very late 2004 or early 2005 for Blue-Ray(copy protection built into drives and media)and Violet-Ray(no word on copy protection yet, but it would produce dual-layer)it depends on how long you can wait. Just remember, new hardware, whether new speeds or new formats, will always come out after you have made a purchase, so in a sence you would have always purchased at a higher price then what you could get it for later.

I don't know where people keep getting this "can't make 1:1" copies thing. Granted if you make a full copy of a DVD with the menus and extras, without compressing them a lot, then the movie part suffers. However, I just compress the extras and menus down as much as I can and the movie suffers no perceivable(is that a word?)loss of quality. I do get some artifacting in the extras, but I don't mind. Thats just me though.

So, to rap a long rant up nicely, if you got the money spend it. other wise sit on it, waiting for the next big thing.

I wouldn't spend $50 or so on another CD-RW drive when there are excellent Lite On 4x DVD+RW drives for around $100.

pioneer and lite-on both have dual format 8x drives. it burns dvd+r and dvd-r at 8x.
id say wait a few months though. or buy a 4x lite-on for 100 or so. 4x is still pretty fast.

My new Plextor 708A is insanely fast, it felt like 7 minutes for burning full discs. Glad I didn't wait longer, it freaking cleaned up my CD mess big time..

beforeafter.jpg

DVD XCOPY Platinum wil make 1 to 1 copies. It gives you the option to omit any extras you want. Cut scenes, bloopers, commentaries, menus, what have u.

I use DVD Shrink for backup of DVD's and just burn them with Nero. DVD Shrink is Free and it is ultra easy. Check out www.DVDRhelp.com and read their forums. If you want to make DIVX movies from DVD's, I use DVD another Free proggie called FairUse, a great Encoder program. You can find all of the DVD software you will ever need for free on the net, only program you might have to buy is nero, unless that came w/ your drive.

Back