dumb question, but just wondering

Dirty B

Limp Gawd
i just installed a new seagate 200gig cuda and after i did all the intial setup and partitioning i only have 186 gigs of space. I left it as one big partition cause I am going to use it as storage for all my mp3s and video. I know about the 137gig barrier but is there something I am missing or is everything ok?

Everything is ok. The reason it is 186GB instead of 200GB is because HDD mfr's measure a GB differently than windows.

so does that mean I am actually getting less storage than I thougt? if you dont mind how do they measure it differently? isnt that kinda like just boosting their numbers? thanks.

Yes it does kinda mean less storage than you thought if you didn't previously know how it was messured. I think it goes like this, in Windows a GB is 1024MB but HDD manufacturer's measure a GB as 1000MB, resulting in a lower than advertized total space showing up in Windows.

ouch thats harsh:( I thought I was going to have all that room. Well i guess 186 will have to do:rolleyes: Thanks for all the help guys

Just as an additional note, there are actually 2 different type of capacities that are referenced. The UNFORMATTED capacity is what you are actually getting - 200GB. The FORMATTED capacity will be 186GB because of OS overhead as Ice CZAR pointed out. It is a big bummer losing 14GB of space, but the OS needs it to be able to keep track of all files present as well as partition information.

Hope this helps!

AceGoober

Back