Dual P3 PSU?

budec

Gawd
Not sure how much wattage I need for this setup:

Dual Pent III running at 733 (stock fans, they are kinda small and run from the mobo)
768 RAM (PC 133 I think)

AGP Video card
PCI SCSI card
PCI RAID card

4-5 IDE drives
2-3 SCSI drives

5 - 80 mm fans

Think a 470 watter would handle it?

http://takaman.jp/D/index.html?english

2-3 SCSI drives @ 2.3A (+12V) per 4.6A>6.9A plus a little on the +5V
4-5 IDE drives @ 2A (+12V) per 8A > 10A plus a little more on the +5V
5 80mm Fans @ 0.37A per 5A
2 CPU fan add 1A (+12V)
P3 mobo 3A 3.3A + 2A 5V + a little on the 12V (likley a single add a bit)
2 x P3 733MHz 5.4A +5V

with the info you supplied
probably
I generally deduct 1\3 to 1\2 of the total amps that a particular PSU lists because it was tested at 25C most likely, and for growth needs and then see if its still is putting out enough to meet the demands from the calculator
(which is additive of all the theoretical maximums something that likely wont occur
and what I call the safety margin)
the closer you load the supply to the theoretical maximum the less the lifespan of the supply and the harder it has to work to deal with AC surges\brownout and transient loads from the interior components its powering, the better the supply, the closer you can load it

youd need a 400 watt PSU of this generation with a strong +12V rail
your real close on what a 400watt from last generation would do on the +12V
and youd want a quality PSU watss dont really mean jack these days, and even amps per rail are only as good as the veracity of the manufacturer

plug in a few figures into that calculator yourself

as an additional concern
if you get a dual +12V rail modern PSU (would be listed +12V1 & +12V2)
the drives & fans would be isolated from the rest of the +12V rail
(but then the typical 400watt +12V2 rail wouldnt be putting enough out for the fans and drives so get a single or a larger supply)
not that you would need that with this board P3s are powered off the +5V rail
P4 are powered off the +12V, but if you want to use it down the line for something else, its a consideration

offhand Id still recommend a Fortron 530 in the budget camp (28A +12V peak)
youd be completly out of luck in the 400 watt range with all those drives if you where powering a modern +12V VRM\CPUs (of course then it would be an EPS12V supply as well)

also look at what delayed sppinnup options are available with the SCSI controller
but considering that the mobo hardly needs any +12V a simple single rail will do nicely
$75

Back