dual layer dvd burners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrouch13

Limp Gawd
i saw compusa advertised a dual layer dvd burner this past sunday for 200 bucks.

however, i am yet to find any dual layer media anywhere?

i'm looking to get a DVD burner and the thought of getting dual layer was sweet...any recommendations for a college kid looking to do some serious copying of other ppl's movies? thanks

First, your breaking one of the forum rules by discussing something illegal, such as copying other people's movies.

Second, it's typical when new burners come out that they always are ahead of the media. Always was true with CD-RWs and now is the same for DVD media.

yes, the media is behind. The manufacturers are working to get production up, but even when you start seeing the media it's going to be overpriced for a while until the shortage disappears

excuse me then, i mis-stated my purpose...i will be backing up all of my dvd's to burnt copies.

so would you recommend going with the dual layer burner or just single layer?
any brand name recommendations?

if I'm not mistaken (and I may very well be), there are many single layer burners now that can be flashed to be dual layer capable...

if I'm right, buy one of those, probably save a decent amount of money.

Ch1m3r4 said:
if I'm not mistaken (and I may very well be), there are many single layer burners now that can be flashed to be dual layer capable...

yeah, you're right.

supposedily the NEC 2100A (or something like that) is supposed to be able to be firmware upgraded to be able to burn DL media but the 2.4X speed is what wouldnt even make me bother with that right now. 2.4X burning speeds would take forever IMO...

oh, also not to mention the fact that DL media is pretty scarce and when you actually do find it, they wanna rape you 10X over on the price.

that being that, this boy is holding off on DL stuff until it matures a little bit more...

I saw a $85 dual layer DVD burner off of slickdeal.net a few day ago. I was thinking about getting one myself, but since the speed is slower than the OJ trial, I'm just going to wait.

Caliche

then would it not just make sense to go ahead and buy the dual layer (which is 200 bucks and upto 8x) and then just use single layer media until dual layers drop in price?

I would wail until the DL burners are faster. I don't want to wait 45+ mins to complete a dual layer dvd. There will be much faster dl burners by next year.

Bah, I use 2.4x. Yes, it takes a long time, I think like 20 minutes, but it's not so bad. (Ok, single layer I admit.)

BTW, always better to burn at a slower speed than the maximum. It makes the media come out "cleaner" with less errors and all and is easier to read in the future. I ran into some troubles with a sensitive player when I was making MP3 CDs and learned this the hard way. I was burning at full speed when I needed to burn at around 8 or so for it to read without having a million buffer underruns a second. Yeah you can get away with minor errors, but, when I'm backing up sensitive data, I really don't want to increase the number of errors however minor they might be. After all, any medium has a limited lifetime and more errors decreases that lifetime effectively.

Alright, I'm closing this thread... first post was a violation of the [H]ardForum rules. Threadstarter, PM me if you care to explain what you were talking about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back