Drives died, then recovered....what now?

djgrfx

n00b
I have 2 WD 100 Gb SE in a Raid-0, ever since i bought these drives, once in a while they would both power down for a second and then spin back up during normal pc operation. The other day, they started to do this again, but instead of just once it happened like 5 times in a row and then they stayed powered down. I removed them from the raid setup and tried to plug them into the standard ide connnection, still no power on. I then as a last ditch effort threw them in the freezer for an hour or so and they both came back to life and have been working since yesterday evening. I also unplugged some of my case fans and used different molex leads so i dont know which of these two things actually fixed the problem. So is this a power issue? Is there something wrong with these drives? I have already called in for RMA on both drives when they were dead, if i take the new drives and they see that these are working now, will they charge me for the replacements? I appreciate your help, thanks.

antec 400w
asus a7m266D
2x Athlon MP 1800+
1 gb crucial ddr2100
radeon 9800
highpoint rocketraid133 + 2 X WD 100 GB se
Turtle beach Santa Cruz
Winfast tv 2000 deluxe
nec usb 2.0 with 3 to 4 devices plugged in
5 X 80mm case fans
16Xdvd
48Xcdrw

Did you use their diagnostic utility before and provided them with an error code for the RMA. Usually if they have approved of the RMA (especially when you provided an error code) then you'll be okay. Even if the old drives work when they test it, who's to say that they won't crap out again later? Your freezer stunt probably just temporarily fixed them.
My suggestion is to quickly backup whatever you have on those old drives while you still can and then maybe run the diag utility again just to see if you can see more error messages (and keep it for your record).
If it were me, I'd still return the old drives.

Well i didnt give them any error codes, because the drives wouldnt even power on, they didnt show up in bios. The first thing i did was to backup anything i needed, thanks.

Back