do CRTs still have a future?

Wow I guess Ramfart has no sense of humour, but on to topic.

Ok at native resolution, clarity and geometry are better on LCDs than CRTs. Are you happy now?

I could dig up facts on CRTs color and tonal accuracy, but in this forum I consider it to be placed under common knowledge that CRTs are just better in those categories. But from what I've seen most people's opinions, *overall* image quality looks much better on a CRT, unless the image is a white background with text on it...

do CRTs still have a future? sure they do....

they can always be used as back-up heaters when space heaters take a dump. :D

*Ozzie snickers and hugs his 20" LCD* :p

Now I agree with Bop:D

But Bop when a stranger "flips you off" do you take that as funny?:D

Heh, sorry if you took that as offensive. I tried to make it look sarcastic but I should've added a smiley or something into it :D

*snickers and hugs his $500 in cash.

Originally posted by ozziegn
do CRTs still have a future? sure they do....

they can always be used as back-up heaters when space heaters take a dump. :D

*Ozzie snickers and hugs his 20" LCD* :p

No, CRT's have NO future in the long run. As LCD technology improves they will have more than good enough response times and the colour will imrpove. So yes, my friend, CRt's WILL eventually stop being used, but that time is not very close, I'd give it another 5 years at least.

Originally posted by Whatsisname
*snickers and hugs his $500 in cash.
I'm sorry Ozzmonster but I gotta stick with this guy.

Originally posted by Zeke
No, CRT's have NO future in the long run. As LCD technology improves they will have more than good enough response times and the colour will imrpove.

CRT days may be numbered, but it won't be at the hand of LCD's. Too many inherent weaknesses regardless of how good they make it. It'll be another flat panel technology, perhaps SED, but not LCD.

Can LCD's look good in anything other than native 1:1 pixel resolution? No. Believe or not, that's enough reason to use a CRT. That's a *Big* negative.

-Robert

Are they going to start pushing DLP monitors like the new TV sets, or will they stay in the projector realm?

DLP is not a good technology for computer monitors. Ever seen a DLP TV?

Egads...

-Robert

Originally posted by Ramfart
I guess no one can come up with the answer then, and let me clarify again for some of the obviously blind readers who responsed, I did say "Native resolution". I wanted facts, in writing, not going to stores or changing resolutions. What has changing resolutions got to do with native resolution. No one has yet answered my question, pease read it carefully so you can answer the original question. I guess Bop does not like my question so he acts childlike. You try to be nice in the way you ask a question and you get baby like responses. sheesh! I did not push my opinion here, I just asked a question, a simple one at that and still no clear answers to my question!
I mentioned going to a store to compare the features/quality for several reasons:

1. Do you buy speakers without listening to them first, buying them only on specs and others' recommendations? Not me, because my hearing and tastes differs from that of other people. Your eyes are judgemental, same as your ears. TRY them, don't just read about them.
2. Which "native resolution" were you asking about? I game at 1024x768 but surf etc at 1200x960. This doesn't work well with most LCDs I've viewed, though, to be honest, this can also vary with the GPU driving the screen. One of those two resolutions is going to be compromised. With a CRT, I don't have to make a compromise on image quality at any resolution I choose to run. Pick your native resolution carefully, because that's the one you're stuck with, forever, if you want quality viewing on that LCD.
3. The only FACT that will matter to you is this: "Does it look good to me?"

Really, there is no crystal-clear answer to your question. As you can tell by the 5 pages of responses, everyone here has different tastes/concerns/priorities. The best way to make your decision is to get a list of recommended monitors and check them all out, side by side. I recommend high-end NECs and Sonys, others say brand XYZ and PDQ LCD panels. Go with all of this info, but still make YOUR OWN decision based on what your eyes tell you.

To sum up, the only "fact" you're going to get for your question is that you will need to weigh your own priorities on features and then choose the best picture out of the screens that meet those priorities. Good luck and have fun shopping :)

I recommend NECs too, got a 1980SX (black) for xmas. It's one of the best I've seen in the 19" range for overall image quality.

I have a 19" and 17" CRT that are going strong.. I was a local computer store the other day and they had used 21" Viewsonics for $120 so I don't see me spending $$$$ on a solution that is new.. I am no "keep of with the Jones" type, and I won't be buying into HDTV either for another 2 years.

Originally posted by Valnar
Can LCD's look good in anything other than native 1:1 pixel resolution? No. Believe or not, that's enough reason to use a CRT. That's a *Big* negative.

LOL I'm SO sticking with CRTs for gaming after reading all this.

But now, for the best 22" CRT for gaming (Iiyama me thinks)? :)

I cant afford LCD and besides, I like changing resolutions for different things. Plus having a big CRT just makes everything more manly ;) . I dont mind it being a heater either, as it gets very cold during the winter.

All the CRT's in my house keep me nice and warm during the cold months :)

i don't care if i have a crt or lcd monitor, as long as it has good image quality and a large viewing area. I have an LG FLATRON 17" T710b. an okay monitor.

The NEC FP2141SB is monitor nirvana.

All the LCDs want to be with it and all the CRTs want to be it.

Originally posted by skritch
My sole point, which you seem to have missed, is that you claimed LCDs (the 2001fp in particular) do not have accurate color reproduction. Specifically, you claimed its color reproduction is worse than that of your CRT, thus implying that your CRT is properly calibrated and providing you with accurate color reproduction.

You failed to provide any sort of support for this claim. The claim you made was a statement of fact, not an opinion -- an opinion would be, "In my opinion, the color reproduction on LCD $FOO is poor". Even then, you should provide support for your opinion, otherwise people are going to think you make baseless opinions on the fly just to be contrary.

And seeing person after person slam this LCD and that CRT because "the colors suck", when all they've done is unbox the device, connect it, and turn it on, is annoying. Most people's opinions of color reproduction come from years of exposure to horribly-miscalibrated CRTs, displaying computer imagery and television signals. They take this woefully misguided opinion of what "good color" looks like, and when they apply it to a device whose color reproduction is fairly accurate out of the box, they think something's horribly wrong. When they see a device that's been properly calibrated, they KNOW something's horribly wrong -- it looks nothing like what they've grown accustomed to.

It's easy to spot these people: the first thing they do when they get a display is crank the contrast and brightness all the way up.

And, as for sharing my settings, if you do in fact know a thing or two about adjusting a display, you should know better -- the settings that work for one particular display have zero bearing on what will work on another. They are two unique units, each with its own manufacturing variances.

In the future, when you make a statement of fact, or even of opnion, have the decency to explain why you made that statement, if you don't want others questioning it. Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion, even completely frivolous, baseless, content-free opinions. But others are free to believe that people who form opinions without good grounds for doing so are at best lazy, and at worst stupid.

Hey, my contrast is pretty high up (92%)... Otherwise, the screen is too dark. Brightness is down, though (11%). This is on a NEC FP2141SB

I do lots of graphic design work...as such I'll never buy an LCD until color reproduction is up to par (when I get my parhellia, over a billion colors), real black, contrast, lightning response etc of my F500-R.

1600x1200@100hz with a .22mm constant pitch apature grill > any LCD. It does heat half the house and take up a ton of space though.

I'll stay by my CRTs until the next-next generation of displays (either LCDs with low pixel response and accurate color representation, or whatever new technology they'll be peddling, be it OLED or something).

Sure, CRTs are heavy, bulky, but cheaper, and I like them more for gaming, as I'm not a big fan of pixel interpolation.

CRT technology is developing at a snail's pace, and one day CRTs will go the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not seeing that happen in the too near future.

<Proud owner of an NEC Multisync FP912SB>

Originally posted by Bop
The NEC FP2141SB is monitor nirvana.

All the LCDs want to be with it and all the CRTs want to be it.
You speak beyond truth.

Originally posted by Arju
Hell yes.

1600X1200 costs a damn fortune flat. My Viewsonic P95fb+ is cheaper than a 15' LCD... and it looks a hell of a lot better.

CRTs also have better response times, no ghosting, more accurate colour and low price.

Until LCDs are as cheap as my new display I won't buy one for a while.
I couldn't agree more.

LCDs are just too damn expensive right now. I mean you have to pay like $700 Canadian at least to get a decent 17" LCD with good response times, contrast ratio, etc. For $700 I can get more ram, a better processor, or a new video card. Why sacrifice all that for a screen that is just as good or worse then one I can get for like $300 Canadian?

I guess I could understand it somewhat if I LAN'd a lot, but I don't. And I have a car, so I can just plop the CRT in the backseat. No big deal there for me.

Back