Distro for Domain Controller

IveBeenBad

[H]F Junkie
I would like to get some expeience with linux networking by setting up a spare system as a domain controller on my network. Can anyone recomend a distro that is both good at this and not terribly difficult to learn?

Shouldn't matter too much since you'll be using Samba for everything. Any of the big distros will do you fine.

Sadly a domain controller is one of the only things I can't justify using linux for...but yes you'll be using samba no matter the distro. Debian is my personal choice.

Zlash said:
Sadly a domain controller is one of the only things I can't justify using linux for...but yes you'll be using samba no matter the distro. Debian is my personal choice.
I have to disagree, especially if you are going to set up a test mail server and such so that you create a single sign on method. Windows and Linux machines and services can all authenticate to it. It's the best multi-platform solution.

deuce868 said:
I have to disagree, especially if you are going to set up a test mail server and such so that you create a single sign on method. Windows and Linux machines and services can all authenticate to it. It's the best multi-platform solution.
Not exactly. If you are doing funky group policy stuff, an MS server is still the best choice.

And I can do single sign on with a mix of windows and linux. winbind+pam makes everything work flawlessly.

Back