Digital receiver+headphones

eli

[H]ard|Gawd
I am thinking about getting a digital receiver, with two floor standing speakers, and a subwoofer. I have a few questions.

1. Eventually, I plan to get more then two...like four or five bookshelf speakers. Could I somehow hook my Digital reciever up to my DVD player, or do i have to get a special one? If so, what kind of cables would I use?

2. To hook my speakers up to my digital receiver, what kind of cable would i use?

3. I will be using my headphones with the digital reciever. Do I need an amp, or do they usually have some decent built in amps? and how would the sound of a decent digital receiver with headphones sound compared to my Audigy 2 ZS...

I am starting out with two floor standing speakers, a sub, and a digital reciever. I was thinking I would either go with athena, or klipsch. I am not sure about the digital receiver. Do you guys have any recommendations on the system? I'd like to get them at best buy, but I trust your recommendations more than theirs. I'd like to start out small, and get a setup that was under $800.

also, if i were to get more speakers to add on to my system, could I get bookshelf speakers and make a surround sound system? or would that set it off balance?

thanks a lot

I am very sorry, I wasn't thinking...this should probably go in the "computer audio" section.

1. the connection between the DVD player and the receiver is normally made using either optical or coaxial cables

2. the cables between the receiver and the speakers should be 16 to 12 guage depending on the lengths of the runs. I use all 12 in my house and 14 in my office

3. dunno, don't use headphones.

No real suggestions on equipment to buy in this price range. I'm sure others have shopped around. I would recommend an actual hi-fi shop over a "department store" though.

BTW, I moved this thread here. Wasn't really "Computer Audio" related

Back