deus ex broke my psu

Hi,

I was playing deus ex 2 when the computer switched itself off and refused to go back on. I took it all apart, unplugged everything from the power and motherboard and tried again. The cpu fan spins for a split second then stops, but the ram led stays lit.

I replaced the psu with a spare I had of the same wattage (350). everything booted up fine, apart from the fact that one of my harddrives was no longer being detected (an appears to be broken now). After a couple of hours with the fixed computer (during which I'd played UT2004) I foolishly tried to play deus ex again, and this time it broke within a minute of starting the game. The first time I'd been playing for hours

Is the problem that 350W isn't enough??

I've got
an athlon 2000xp
512 ddr memory
radeon 9800 pro
120GB harddrive (to replace the broken one which was just 20GB)
60GB harddrive
cdrw/dvd combo drive

My plan is to go and buy the biggest psu I can, but I wanted to check first to see if I was on the right track.

thanks
hiddenninjaskills

What are the two psu's in question?

Ocassionally i'll read about psu troubles during heavy 3d gaming. Invariably the answer always ends up being the need of a beefier powersupply, but there's no way to be certain till you test out a quality psu.

Also, you can't rule out the chance that some hardware may be fried now, which would make diagnosis even more difficult.

both psus were 350W, don't know if they were quality psus or not though - they came with cases that I bought.

the first time it blew I get my 20GB harddisk fried, I'm really hoping that nothing was damaged the second time.

hiddenninjaskills said:
they came with cases that I bought.

almost guaranteed to be Generic Junk
I hope your computer survived, get a reputable PSU ;)
Its just not worth the risk

Back