Dell XPS 13 can't boot after windows update. Almost nothing works, but I can get into safe mode.

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

It is getting annoying. The laptop is stuck at the logo screen and won't go any further after windows updates did its thing. I tried the automated recovery tools but they didn't work although they reported errors were corrected. I tried system file checker and it fixed errors but I still couldn't boot. I unfortunately don't have an image of the disk which I can load nor a restore point. I tried to uninstall updates but it didn't work either. It booted only one time of the countless times I restarted it and I thought the problem was gone. I don't know what I did to make it boot that time. I wanted to make an image at that time but told myself let's just restart again to make sure the problem is really gone and I did and became stuck again. I can now boot into safemode. What things would you do in safemode to help you get it to boot???

I only have few hours left in my patience meter before I decide to nuke it ^_^

try removing a bunch on the onboard stuff from device manager and disable EVERYTHING in task manager/startup

try removing a bunch on the onboard stuff from device manager and disable EVERYTHING in task manager/startup
Oh my God! Now that I wanted to try your suggestion, it decided not to boot into safemode:mad:

well, if theres no data you need, nuking it might be the simplest thing to do.

The data is in another partition, but I just don't want to go through the trouble of installing zillions of programs and configuring them. The only thing valuable in the C: drive is my iphone backup which is not real data. I wonder if it will work if I copy the backup folder and then paste it later on in its specific directory in my new windows installation. Will try few more things before I nuke it. I will report back. Thanks pendragon.

Edit: I can copy the iphone backup folder according to this:
https://www.softwarert.com/transfer-itunes-backups-another-computer/

So I think I'll just copy the backup folder to a flash drive, then nuke it.

Last edited:
Okay, so I copied the backup folder and nuked it. I'm in the process of reinstalling programs and configuring them. After I finish I need to image the OS disk so that I can restore it if something like this happens again. I use macrium reflect, but to my bad luck, they just canceled their free version as I can see from their website. They were the best free imaging software I used. What would be a good free alternative? What do you guys use for disk imaging?

Okay, so I copied the backup folder and nuked it. I'm in the process of reinstalling programs and configuring them. After I finish I need to image the OS disk so that I can restore it if something like this happens again. I use macrium reflect, but to my bad luck, they just canceled their free version as I can see from their website. They were the best free imaging software I used. What would be a good free alternative? What do you guys use for disk imaging?
AOMEI backupper free should do

Back