Dell Offers Free Laptops With Broadband Subscription

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dell has signed a deal to hand out free laptops as part of a broadband internet access package with a U.K. cell phone retailer.

Starting in September, consumers who buy a two-year contract for America Online's broadband service through the Carphone Warehouse Group will get a coupon for a free base-model Inspiron notebook from Dell. AOL broadband costs £19.99 ($41) per month.

Not a bad deal if you want broad band and you dont have a laptop. Sounds like the AOL deal that they had going a long time ago in dial-up days.

The Dell laptop comes with Microsoft's Vista Home Basic OS, 1 GB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, an Intel Celeron processor and Wi-Fi. The laptop can be upgraded for a fee. Customers also get a wireless router, but have to pay a £14.99 laptop delivery fee.

Seems like a good deal for those who just surf, email, chat online.

It's too bad its with AOL. They're only doing it in hopes bring back business and suck people into more AOL type things. This is only a surface thing they're doing. I'd read the fine print on this one.

This appears to be a UK-specific deal, not likely to be available to US or other non-UK customers.

I find it weird that AmericaOnline is offering service under that name in non-US markets.

rofl halben they have been working in tons of other countries, they arent called American online its just AOL now, they dont go by america online, they work all over now

wasn't this tried several years ago with a pc,with dial-up? if i remember correctly,it bombed severly.it was someing like PeoplePC or some suck thing.

I think AOL is desperately trying to get their customers to come back and continue paying twice as much as everyone else charges for the same services.

Wow, a cell phone company comes up with a scheme to give away hardware in exchange for a paid subscription to a service. Simply... amazing.

Back