Dell Gigabit Switches - good thru 2/4

hmm....might have to talk to my boss about those...very enticing. They're rackmountable correct? they appear to be at least. Might be a nice upgrade for the office, but it's a little to expensive for "home" use. Thanks for the heads up, i'd love to see one of them put into my office :D

mmm so tempting.. except I'd use it at home.. and the spectre of the FCC would loom over my head..

yeah right.. except if maybe it killed DSS reception, then someone would notice.

yes rackmountable. not expensive for home use though.

I was looking at a dlink 8 port gigabit switch for $140 and this 16 port was only $46 more. Shipped.

Gigabit is good!

One of the most under-rated upgrades you can make in a home. Nothing like running this between your client boxes and a [multimedia] server.

Just make sure you have good cabling, or you won't ever get any decent speeds.

FYI if this is too much for you then pick up a Netgear 5-port unit for under $100 off Pricewatch.

Originally posted by ItsTooHot
not expensive for home use though.

It's expensive for a piece of equipment that's not really NECESSARY for home use. In my case, i don't transfer files from computer to computer that often. All my storage is on my main machine. So spending a $160 on this for home would definatly be expensive (at least to me).

But if you do this for work (in which my office NEEDS due to high volume of transfering files between computer), we'd probably be glad to spend twice that because of the time it will save us :D

I've been extremely pleased with migrating to a Client/Server type setup at my home.

Pop a Raid-1 array into a server, with a seperate bootdrive, and then just pull whatever you want off the server onto your systems (client).

Hey, I was just curious if anyone knows about this.. but if you have a Cat 6 cable (aka Gigabit) and then just lopped an end off and twisted a pair (how you can normally make a Crossover cable) then plug that into 2 computers with Gigabit, It'll work right?

I guess my question is.. Gigabit is the same as normal Cat 5 stuff right? If i had 2 computers i wanted to xfer stuff, i don't need to do it with a switch, i could just do a 1000 crossover cable right?

thanks!
Froppy
:p

Originally posted by Froppy
Hey, I was just curious if anyone knows about this.. but if you have a Cat 6 cable (aka Gigabit) and then just lopped an end off and twisted a pair (how you can normally make a Crossover cable) then plug that into 2 computers with Gigabit, It'll work right?

I guess my question is.. Gigabit is the same as normal Cat 5 stuff right? If i had 2 computers i wanted to xfer stuff, i don't need to do it with a switch, i could just do a 1000 crossover cable right?

thanks!
Froppy
You can actually use regular cat5 for gig-e, but it has to be quality cat5 cable. A 1000baseT crossover is different than a 100baseT crossover simply because 1000baseT uses all four pairs of copper. Here is a good page describing it.
I'm at school right now so I just plug into the wall so I don't have much of a use for this. It's a damn good price though. Some day we're going to have gigabit switches for $40 like how 100baseT is right now.

These Dells (particularly the 2616) are interesting. However, the forwarding rate of 23.8 Mpps seems pretty low for a switch with this many 1000BaseTX ports.

Originally posted by Froppy

thanks!
Froppy

don't even bother, virtually all gigE nics have auto-crossover detection (referred to as MDI-II or MDI-X usually), so just plug a plain straight thru cable between a gigE nic and anything else, and it'll work :)

Originally posted by Neb
don't even bother, virtually all gigE nics have auto-crossover detection (referred to as MDI-II or MDI-X usually), so just plug a plain straight thru cable between a gigE nic and anything else, and it'll work :)

Nice, i didn't know that :D BTW, any old Cat-5e cable will work w/ gigabit as well, you don't necessarily need to go buy Cat-6 cable unless you want to.

Back