Decent TV tuner?

Morphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello all i have made a semi stable HTPC and was wondering what is a decent TV tuner, not looking for perfect HDTV resolutions or anything but something that will nice and minimal loss in quality. i have $45 at amazon.com to waste so i was looking at this card:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...08460-9116829?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

it seemed to get awsome reviews at newegg but i wanted your opinions on it. Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought one of those and had nothing but problems. The WinTV drivers kept crashing out my box, even after updating them. It worked fine in Linux though. I've got my eye on the Leadtek TV2000 now...

well thats ok, i could run linux. But how was the quality on it?

Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe is the way to go for a cheap TV Tuner. Got mine a while back from NewEgg for $42 and couldn't be happier with it. Only thing i dislike is that it doesn't have hardware decoding, but for a $42 card it's awesome. Great picture

SB22 said:
Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe is the way to go for a cheap TV Tuner. Got mine a while back from NewEgg for $42 and couldn't be happier with it. Only thing i dislike is that it doesn't have hardware decoding, but for a $42 card it's awesome. Great picture
that's what i have and i like it. i've only been having problems recently when i encode directly to divx, it started having interlace lines so i would have to apply a deinterlace filter when i went to cut out commercials with virtualdub which added a lot of time. i've done it before with no problems. other encoding is just fine. i have a p4 [email protected] so that's probably not the problem. anyway, this is a good card.

Morphes said:
well thats ok, i could run linux. But how was the quality on it?
Quality was decent, although I did get some minor static on some channels that are usually very clear. I'm hoping the Leadtek will be better. The radio quality on the Hauppauge was very good, better than expected, but I could not get it to work with linux.

well after much debate with myself i have decided to go with the more expensive one just because its only $40 out of my pocket and it does have alot of support behind it with programs, plus the hardware decodeing is nice addition too.

Back