Dang! Sorry if this is OC, I need help FAST!

AirBornX

Limp Gawd
My stupid friend went in to my bios, messed around, and switched off the BOOT VGA or what ever.

So I have two problems, I can't see my screen cause refresh rate is too high, and I cant even see my comp boot up cause friend disabled the VGA thing. What do I do?

Clear the CMOS, using the cmos reset jumper while haveing the power supply unplugged

I don' have the manual with me.

Do I just take out the battery and unplug it?

Also, will this help my stupid refresh problem?

There should be a jumper near your battery, switch it to the other side for about 30 seconds and then move it back..... it will reset the BIOS to default values...everything goes back to default.

Originally posted by AirBornX
How would I do that? And will that get rid of my refresh rate problem?

CMOS is a jumper setting or a small button on your mobo, take off your case and check, if you're lucky it's a button, if not, download your manual from that manufacturer's site...

What is the make & model of the mobo?

Usually the clearcmos jumper is near the battery and shorting out the alternative pin contacts and reverting them back clears the cmos.

Some bioses will allow a default setting if you hold the Insert key on boot.

I'm not sure what you're saying about your refresh, how could your friend change that while messing around in the BIOS? Anyway, if you do have a problem, you can go into safe mode, and in there go to display properties, and I think you just hit apply, or you change the setting, and then hit apply... Then reboot, and windows will look like ass, but you can get to your display properties and set it back to what it's supposed to be.

YES! You have all been so helpful!

I messed up my refresh settings, so monitor went blank... then my tennis friend who came over tried to help (by messing up the bios)

But now, I see everything, but still can't make it to my desktop. How do I get to my desktop? Since the refresh rate is too high for my monitor.

What do I press to get in to safe mode?

To get into safe mode hold either the left control or the left shift key as it boots. One takes you to the boot menu the other straight into windows in safe mode. (cant remember which at the moment)

hit "F8" right after the BIOS loads, right before the Windows XP screen with the moving dots...

Originally posted by neevo
To get into safe mode hold either the left control or the left shift key as it boots. One takes you to the boot menu the other straight into windows in safe mode. (cant remember which at the moment)

doesn't that depend on motherboard make. i have to press f8 and it then comes up with a list of boot options.

Both of them dont work. :(

The F8 thing works though! Awesome!

*Internet humps everyone on this thread*

Originally posted by AirBornX
Both of them dont work. :(
F8 is what you ACTUALLY want. MS doesn't give you much of a window to press it, (too early, you get a keyboard error, too late, Windows is already loading), so if you miss it the first time just restart and try again.

Originally posted by fr33ze
doesn't that depend on motherboard make. i have to press f8 and it then comes up with a list of boot options.
Depends more on the O/S! I assumed he was using 98 as that is what I used to troubleshoot over the phone with PC newbs for whom finding the F8 key was too hard or tiresome though most seemed able to find "the bottom lefthand" key or the one above it!

That's why I am in the habit of typing a path at the command prompt in separate stages rather than one long line as I got fed up of trying to get people to type cd C:\windows\options\cabs correctly in one go, it's easier to do in little steps when you can check what the command prompt says after each Enter. Mind you with my typing skills it's I rarely can get that line correct in one go anyway :)

Back