Current on the 3.3V line too low?

Dijonase

Gawd
I'm looking at a 500W PSU with the following specs:
3.3V is 15.0A, 5V is 40.0A, 12V is 19.0A, -5V is 0.6A, -12V is 0.6A, +5VSB is 2.0A

Now I don't know a whole lot about PSUs, but that 15A on the 3.3V line seems pretty low. I believe the manufacturer is a company called Ultra, but I'm not especially worried about grabbing a name brand since my no-name 350W has treated me just fine. Am I right in thinking the current on the 3.3V line is too low?

EDIT: As a reference my current genric 350W PSU has the following: 3.3V@24A, +5V@35A, [email protected], +12V@12A, [email protected], [email protected]. The 500W I'm looking at has a much stronger 12V line, but I don't know about that 3.3V line. Anybody have any suggestions?

Someone has to have some insight on this. The PSU is used so it'll be a good deal. I'm just not sure about the current on the 3.3V line. Anybody?

Is this thing such a piece of garbage that nobody sees fit to respond? Should I get this one used for maybe $30 or $35 or should I go to newegg and buy a 450W or so PSU for around $50?

My 300W that came with my Aopen case is as follows..

16A @ 3.3V
30A @ 5V
11A @ 12V

That alone is over 300W [334.8W] And I generally don't look at the other 5Vsb or negative lines for the total wattage. That 500W that you show yields around 480W if I recall the calculations and that 350W that you listed gives around 398W on the three main lines so there is a bit of somthing to think about. You could probably get away with that so called 500W since it is generally overkill in the first place but That 500W is more like a 450W if they would have rounded down like everyone else.

Just something for you to chew on.

Paragon said:
My 300W that came with my Aopen case is as follows..

16A @ 3.3V
30A @ 5V
11A @ 12V

That alone is over 300W [334.8W] And I generally don't look at the other 5Vsb or negative lines for the total wattage. That 500W that you show yields around 480W if I recall the calculations and that 350W that you listed gives around 398W on the three main lines so there is a bit of somthing to think about. You could probably get away with that so called 500W since it is generally overkill in the first place but That 500W is more like a 450W if they would have rounded down like everyone else.

Just something for you to chew on.

Cool deal. Although I'm more concerned about the current distribution rather than the total power output.

Even if it's essentially only a 450W PSU it'd be an upgrade from where I am at the moment, but the current on that 3.3V line really bothers me. I don't know if it's a big deal, but I'd like to be sure. Especially considering that it looks stronger than the PSU I have now in all other regards.

Check on newegg and see what currents they show for some of the PSUs that they carry.

Sparkle, antec, aopen, inwin, vantec, thermaltake [altho I know them more for heatsinks], enlight,

Anything that seems like a good one should be fine. Check out the reviews on newegg. Ya don't need to go overboard with the power rating. I think people are tending to get a little carried away with PSUs for computers. Someone mentioned a dual 500W PSU for a dually system in another thread.. talk about overkill.

Paragon said:
I think people are tending to get a little carried away with PSUs for computers.

Yeah, they really do. I'd normally be happy with what I have, but with my current 350W PSU I'm just sitting right at the minimum requirement for my 6800GT and with a processor I plan to OC I'd like a little more strength in my PSU.

Dijonase said:
Yeah, they really do.
Especially <insert [H]ard | Forum's Power Supplies moderator here>, who all too often recommends a way overboard-specced PSU just so that it could handle future hardware (which many of us won't even purchase at all whatsoever). With my current Northwood P4 system, a 350 to 400W PSU (and I'm talking about a PSU which delivers 350 to 400 real watts under normal operating temps) is sufficient (this will correspond to 525W to 600W under typical ratings) - but choose the PSU wisely: Most "350W" PSU's get their rating at an operating temperature of only 25°C (77°F), which requires an computer case's internal ambient temperature of less than 15°C (59°F) in order to achieve - but at normal operating temperatures of 40°C (104°F), that same "350W" PSU delivers only 230 real watts. Even a typical "400W" PSU is still insufficient for the average up-to-date system, since it delivers just 265 real watts under normal operating temps. PCP&C, however, rates the power rating at an operating temperature of 40°C (104°F), making for much more realistic ratings.

Paragon said:
Check on newegg and see what currents they show for some of the PSUs that they carry.

Just from a quick glance around newegg that does seem pretty low on the 3.3V line. I just don't know though. I've always seen people say things like "make sure your PSU has at least 18A on the 12V line", but I've never seen anything recommended for the 3.3V line.

Damn. Does anyone else have any expertise they might be able to lend?

Back