Crucial (Ballistix) DDR4-3600 4x16GB throwing MemTest86 errors - a bit of a caveat

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
System specs in my signature...all firmwares and drivers up to date, getting random game crashes that wind up fully rebooting my system.
Dug into Event Viewer and the only entries that point to anything were from memory bugs.
Fresh install of Win11 Pro this morning, random crash-reboots still occuring.

Ran MemTest86 (all four DUIMMs still populated) and the error results are starting to like up:

IMG_20230730_105342214_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230730_154219074_HDR.jpg

After the test completed, I'll be re-running the test on each DIMM individually and then starting the RMA process with Crucial, once the culprit DIMM(s) are identified.

So the caveat is this: Crucial canned their Ballistix brand and no longer make the RGB modules.
Not sure what they're going to do to take care of the issue, but they have some outs in their fine print that could put me in a potentially unwanted (and unfair, in my opinion) position:

Screenshot_20230730-110924-941.png

If I end up getting store credit, then I lose my RGB (which I don't want to do since my system is always set to solid red lighting)...and I may end up losing *A LOT* of money by whatever their definition of "fair market value" is. I paid $200 for the first kit and $190 for the second kit back in March 2021.

If I happen to get refunded "fair market value", then I'll be on my own to shop for replacement RGB DDR4 modules.

Here's where I humbly ask for the help of the [H]orde:
What brand and model of RGB DDR4 modules should I seriously consider for out of the box worry-free compatibility with my X570 Tomahawk MoBo?
Not looking for massive OC'd, so I'm guessing that 3200-3600 with relatively lower latency would be fine for my usage, unless there's evidence that says otherwise for higher clocked DIMMs and the X570 + Ryzen 5000 series platform.

Thank you.

Just about at the 6.5 hour mark and now up to 45 errors. Sigh

Gskill is what I use for rgb ddr4 builds since the ballistix line was axed. Software can be finicky sometimes but generally your mb sw will have no problems controlling them.

Ran MemTest86 (standard 4 pass) on each DIMM indicidually, and only one failed.
Pulled that 2x16GB set and reinstalled the other set that showed pass.
Fired up some games (Jedi Survivor and Far Cry 6), which both experienced the same crash-reboot as before all the RAM testing was done.
Any ideas of what to check next?
...I'll be replacing the 850W PSU with the same brand and lineup, but in 1000W flavor just in case the GPU is experiencing any power draw spikes that goes beyond what the 850W can adequately feed.

worth a try, maybe auto isnt fully stable, idk...

weird thing is this computer has been stable for about two years since it was built, and only recently in the past couple months has started exhibiting the crash-reboot behavior when games that are pushing the max settings are fired up.

Well it seems like you have found that you have a stick of RAM that is dying and now you just need to find out if there is anything else or if it has just corrupted some files and you need to reinstall.

Test the working kit at XMP 3600 with OCCT large extreme CPU stress test and Memory stress test.
https://www.ocbase.com/download

Downloaded and ran OCCT large+extreme for 4 hours...no errors detected. This was with the two modules that didn't show errors with MT86.
System is crash-reboots in GPU-intensive games.
I'm at a bit of a loss...

Sounds like your CPU\RAM is now stable so one problem fixed now to find the other.
Run the OCCT GPU stress test.

Is it always cores 6/10? Might not be your memory -- could be the CPU/memory controller, or the path between the memory and cores 6/10 could be too long with that many sticks/chips.

Ran 4 hours on RAM, 2 hours on CPU, and 2 hours on GPU - no errors detected in OCCD.
Fired up Timespy...finished with no issues (I do not have the latest 3Dmark so no benchmark with DX12U with RT) - no issues running it.
Then fired up Jedi Survivor - about 5 mins into it, another crash-reboot.

Installed WinDbg from the MSFT Store and opened the memory dump file...anyone more savvy with Windows debugging care to take a look and decipher?

Screenshot 2023-08-20 171400.png

I am bettering the dying RAM stick has corrupted some install files.
Try a reinstall of video drivers after using DDU to remove the old ones and verify the game files but you may need format the SSD for a compete reinstall of everything.

I am bettering the dying RAM stick has corrupted some install files.
Try a reinstall of video drivers after using DDU to remove the old ones and verify the game files but you may need format the SSD for a compete reinstall of everything.

Shit...this install is fresh as of about a few weeks ago, so that sucks if I have to rinse-repeat.
Thank you for the further advice.

maybe run the OCCT power test and check the smart data for your SSD before the reinstall just to be sure.

maybe run the OCCT power test and check the smart data for your SSD before the reinstall just to be sure.

SSDs *should* be fine ...I did upgrade the firmware on all three right before the fresh reinstall of Windows and checked them with Crucial Storage Executive - no errors and they are all under 20% of their TBW. Is there a better utility that I should try?

This is really perplexing: OCCT CPU, RAM, and GPU for 2+ hours each (and verified that a full load for CPU and GPU was applied) and no issues, but anywhere from 5 to maybe 30-45 minutes into a game (mostly testing the phenomenon using Jedi Survivor) and I get a crash-reboot.

SSDs *should* be fine ...I did upgrade the firmware on all three right before the fresh reinstall of Windows and checked them with Crucial Storage Executive - no errors and they are all under 20% of their TBW. Is there a better utility that I should try?

This is really perplexing: OCCT CPU, RAM, and GPU for 2+ hours each (and verified that a full load for CPU and GPU was applied) and no issues, but anywhere from 5 to maybe 30-45 minutes into a game (mostly testing the phenomenon using Jedi Survivor) and I get a crash-reboot.
Its impossible to predict what bad RAM can do to your OS/Drivers/ETC.

Now that you have the bad sticks out, you should do a fresh Windows install.

Back