Crazy Battlefield2 Lag...

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
:confused:
Hello,
So I installed the BF2 demo and it lags so much I can't enjoy it. I am playing at 1024x768 resolution..because for some reason that's the MAX resolution that shows up in the Video Options in the demo. (My monitor is a FPD2185W and can support a max 1680x1050 res).
I did set the options under the Video settings display to high. However, the game still looked bad (low res? iono) and it lagged. Under the Nvidia control properties, I set AA/AF to application controlled.
(DFI Ultra-D)
I have an Opteron 165 running @ 2.7Ghz
XfX 7800GT
1gb (2x512) Crucial Ballistix @ 270Mhz
Now, this may be my problem. My Maxtor 200Gb harddrive is not doing so good. When running HD Tach (Long Bench), I get:
Random Acccess: 15.6 MS
Average read: 44.1 MB/s
Burst Speed: 121.1MB/s
so can the HD be the cause of this bad performance...
(THis is an ATA-133 16mb Cache Maxtor 6B200RO..running with an nForce4 mobo chipset :( )

Drop down to 800X600, turn AA off, and restart the game.

Jump into a server and see if the lag goes away. If it does, then turn the AA on at 800X600 and see what happens.

Gradually turn stuff back on until it starts to lag again.

1 gig of ram isn't enough to play BF2 on high. get another gig if you can.

OP - You can check out the BF2 tweak guide at www.tweakguides.com to get some tips to improve performance. All of us who have the retail game and played the demo can say that the patched retail game runs much better than the demo. In the tweak guide there is a command line switch to specify any resolution and refresh rate you want. I forget the syntax, sorry.

1. Your lag is likely due to your AMD dual core chip. I have the same issue. What you have to do his goto ur taskbar, select BF2.exe, right click, Set Affinity, and untick one of the CPUs. Problem solved.

2. What kinda GPU ru using?

3. More RAM will help.

4. To set your resolution higher goto the BF2 guide at tweakguides.net, and they'll tell you how to manually set your resolution. Btw BF2 does not support widescreen, and part of your vertical viewing angle will be chopped off.

I have no problems with my dual core with AMD patch.

You should be able to run that shit at 1600x1200 all detail maxed 2xAA if you get another gig of ram and the full game.

Thats what I run it at anyways...

I don't have the AMD patch...becaue I have not felt the need for it.
Do you believe that the lack of the patch is causing the problems?
Also, can you give me a link to the proper patch..

Also, make sure that you have the Cable/DSL setting selected and not the LAN setting.

infiniti029 said:
1. Your lag is likely due to your AMD dual core chip. I have the same issue. What you have to do his goto ur taskbar, select BF2.exe, right click, Set Affinity, and untick one of the CPUs. Problem solved.

I had some issues w/ BF2 that fixed :)

you really do need 2GB of RAM to max it. I have heard that the demo version of BF2 doesnt support wide screen?

Brucelee said:
thats true thats why widescreenforums has a exe fix which you just type... and bang!

Interesting.

Is is a true widescreen resolution (additional information on the sides) or do they just chop off the top and the bottom of what you see with 4:3? I heard that the widescreen fix for BF2 was that you actually ended up seeing LESS.

KJ43 said:
Interesting.

Is is a true widescreen resolution (additional information on the sides) or do they just chop off the top and the bottom of what you see with 4:3? I heard that the widescreen fix for BF2 was that you actually ended up seeing LESS.

I don't think thats true... I actually so more from side to side... I think it balances out the top and bottom very nice.

People are saying there is issues with the dual cores and BF2. But I have yet to notice anything with mine. What would they be in the first place? I don't notice anything at this time with issues.

Back