Couple Questions

I plan to network DSL to two computers at my home and have a couple questions. I have two ethernet cards and a crossover cable. Would I be able to get the internet on both computers with these components or do I have to buy a router or hub. Would there be any advantage on using a router or hub over a crossover cable?

If you have a hub or a router, you can expand it more if you get more computers. If you use a crossover cable, one machine has to have 2 NIC's in it, one connecting to the cable modem, and the other conncting to the other computer via the crossover cable using ICS.

The DSL modem is connected through a USB port and I found out that you need an ethernet modem to use a router. Is there any other way except using a router to network 2-3 comps to share the internet.
When I tried with the crossover cable, I was able to get file sharing but no internet connection on ther other computer.

There are a few routers with USB connectivity. I've posted several links in the past but frankly I am not going to google it again when all any user has to do is use Google to get the information. Draytek makes one and I think Vigor. There are at least 4 or 5 routers with USB connectivity.

keywords for Google

USB router

Enjoy

If you plan on sharing the Internet with more than 2 computers, you should probably consider a USB router. If its only gonna be 2 for awhile, ics might be a lil cheaper for you.

ICS is the first thing I tried and didnt work from my win98SE computer to the other one which uses winXP. I did some research and found that many people also had problems using ICS with a USB ADSL modem.

Back