Cooling the NForce2 chipset

Paintaker

n00b
Both the Asus A7n8X Deluce 2.0 and the DFI Lan Party Ultra come with heatsinks on the motherboard chipset. I have noticed the Abit NF7s 2.0 comes with a heatsink and fan.

When overclocking the Barton 2500 to 3200 speeds is it necessary to add cooling to the standard cooling?

Does the fan on the NF7s work better than the heatsinks alone on the other two booards?

If I go with the Asus or the DFI Lanparty - should I add a fan to the heatsink that it comes with, or are people ripping of the manufacturer cooling and adding their own heatsinks and fans?

Also - I have read and noticed in pictures that the DFI Lanparty board no longer comes with Sinkholes around the processor. Will it be possible to use a Thermalright SP947u heatsink on this board now?

Thanks

Unless you plan on OC'in well above 200 FSB, stock cooling will be plenty enough for cooling. If you want to upgrade, the best NB cooler (and best lookin:)) would be the Vantec Iceberg (copper).

I added an Iceburq to my 8rda NB, and it helped my to just get up to 200 FSB, so I'd say it is worth getting one. Plus it looks extra cool.

as long as you're not bumping voltages... stock cooling should suffice ...

It kind of depends on what board you go with, I've noticed that the Southbridge chip gets really hot, the northbridge only if your OCing. For example people with a NF7-S have been putting the stock cooler on the southbridge when they upgrade the cooler, since it gets hot and effects the audio. For you people with Iceberqa What version is good to get, I'm looking on Newegg and there's like different versions for chipsets. I'm looking at the IceBerq 4 Pro, I'm also looking at Swiftechs cooler too.
I thought the new Lanparty came with the mounting holes but the position is kind of crappy IMO, too close the rear ports and weird mounting.

I concur on the Swiftech 159... it is awesome, and use it as a sanding block to LAP the NB before installation...600-1000 grit wet sand it.

how well does the iceberg 4 fit on the northbridge? does it overhang alot?

I've been wanting to get a SP97 for my A7N8X Deluxe, and also the swiftech 159, but the 2 won't fit together, as the 159 is too high and will hit the sp97 (unless someone knows different)

so, I've been looking for something more, low profile... will this cooler get in the way of the sp97, or will it all fit together?

The Iceberq look to be the same size as the one on a NF7-S. Man after see those pics I was kind of worried but I plan on getting aN ALX-800 so I think I might be Ok.

I'm using the Thernaltake Volcano 9 (http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1365.htm) with their ducting mod (http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/DuctingMod.htm) which allows air to flow directly to the centre of the heatsink - the hottest part that sits right on top of the processor - which is usually blocked by the fan hub. Together they cost under $30 (US).

I'm overclocking my 2500+ to a 3200+ and Asus PC Probe has never recorded a CPU temperature above 43C...it typically runs at 37C or 38C.

Don't believe Thermaltake's "silent" claim...this is the loudest thing in my case! If you want it to run in silent mode, expect tempuratures of 50C. Sometime next week I'm going to replace the Thermaltake fan with a Zalman silent fan and see what temp. range the computer will run in.

Back