Computer to Digital In on Home Theater

kaukau

n00b
I have an Asus A78NX which supports Dolby® digital 6-channel with it's onboard sound. I also have a Samsung HT-DB120.

I want to connect the audio out on my computer to the Home Theater System. The audio out on my computer is a standard headphone jack. The Home Theater System has both a Digital In (Optical) and Audio In (Auxial) which I assume is the two standard RCA things.

What cable do I need and how would the Optical Digital In compare with the RCA in?

(I prefer high-quality cables)

Your receiver only accepts digital inputs via optical or coaxial. You'll need to purchase a soundcard that can send Dolby Digital content digitally, because your motherboard only offers analog outputs. Luckily, an acceptable soundcard for the job isn't very expensive. I suggest you purchase the Chaintech AV-710, which offers optical and coaxial digital output, as well as analog output of up to 7.1 content. Here are a few retailers to try:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=av-710

if you have an al7n8x then it should have optical out.... unless it doesnt use sounstorm (or some dumbed down version of it).

I thought the A78NX had Soundstorm on it? It could send a Dolby Digital signal digitally???:confused:

If it has some sort of digital out then you're golden. I just checked the specs page and found no mention of the digital out. Perhaps only the Deluxe version has it.

Back