Computer/gaming chair options around $100-200

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Looking for a new chair. Can spend around $100-200, so expensive stuff like Herman Miller or Steelcase are not options. Will be used for all kinds of computer tasks and I often sit for hours on end at my PC. I'm considering a mesh based chair because it can get fairly hot in the summer so airflow seems nice.

Any good recommendations?

The FlexFi Hyken Mesh seems to be a popular choice for a cheap mesh chair. Is it even worth considering? I can try it and return it locally if it doesn't work out which has me considering it. Most other things I'll have to buy online without trying it and with no free return option. So if there is a better brand from a store with a good return policy I'd be interested.

I'd forgo sinking that $100-200 into some chair that'll likely break or bottom out in some way in a year or two, having to drop another $100-200 to start the loop anew, and instead buy one of the "big dogs" you mentioned off Craigslist/OfferUp used.

Even if it means having to spend an extra hundred or two, you'll be getting an indisputable champ-tier chair that'll not only outlast lesser chairs, but it'll likely be more comfortable and function better than even a brand new lesser-tier chair.

The other benefit going this route is that these "big dog" chairs keep their value like crazy, so you can count on being able to resell it at anytime should you want or need the money, and likely recoup most if not all of your cost ....or more! No way you can do that with a non big-dog chair, even selling it as new, since buyers could just buy it from Staples/etc. themselves and get a full return window guarantee and warranty coverage.

There are things in life to economize on, and then there are things that you bite the bullet and splurge on, even if difficult to stomach, as the longterm return will be greater. An office chair is definitely in the top-3 of the latter.

A mesh chair is probably a good choice. I used to buy cheap cushioned leatherish chairs and they would always wear down and rip within a year. A cheap mesh chair would hopefully hold up better.
I don't know if that one is good or not, I've been using an Aeron for 10 years and it cost $800 when I got it. So it's actually cheaper in the long run. But if that cheap mesh chair holds up multiple years it could be good.

I'd forgo sinking that $100-200 into some chair that'll likely break or bottom out in some way in a year or two, having to drop another $100-200 to start the loop anew, and instead buy one of the "big dogs" you mentioned off Craigslist/OfferUp used.

Even if it means having to spend an extra hundred or two, you'll be getting an indisputable champ-tier chair that'll not only outlast lesser chairs, but it'll likely be more comfortable and function better than even a brand new lesser-tier chair.

The other benefit going this route is that these "big dog" chairs keep their value like crazy, so you can count on being able to resell it at anytime should you want or need the money, and likely recoup most if not all of your cost ....or more! No way you can do that with a non big-dog chair, even selling it as new, since buyers could just buy it from Staples/etc. themselves and get a full return window guarantee and warranty coverage.

There are things in life to economize on, and then there are things that you bite the bullet and splurge on, even if difficult to stomach, as the longterm return will be greater. An office chair is definitely in the top-3 of the latter.

I'd consider that. Any particular models to go for? And particular places to try and find one? Really can't spend much more than $150-180 though. Kind of a hard limit for the time being. If I could find something like an Aeron for that I'd go for it but I assume they'll still be $400+ used.

I'll say I would prefer a more flat chair. But anything that helps maximizes airflow is priority, so probably mesh is what I want. Only major problem I've had in cheap chairs in the past is during the summer I get very sweaty sitting on them.

I'd consider that. Any particular models to go for? And particular places to try and find one? Really can't spend much more than $150-180 though. Kind of a hard limit for the time being. If I could find something like an Aeron for that I'd go for it but I assume they'll still be $400+ used.

I'll say I would prefer a more flat chair. But anything that helps maximizes airflow is priority, so probably mesh is what I want. Only major problem I've had in cheap chairs in the past is during the summer I get very sweaty sitting on them.
It all depends on the Craigslist/OfferUp/Facebook resale market wherever you live. I'd hop on each of those sites/services and search for used Aerons, see what pops up. No guarantees, sometimes it's just a matter of waiting for someone to be sell an item you're looking for (at a worthwhile price). So if you need a chair now and you don't see anything, then this option probably won't work.

Back