Computer Audio for car - need suggestions

I am planning on putting a computer system in my car to run all of my music. I've got all of the bases covered except two problems that I have run in to.
1. Where I live (Kansas), it gets up to 105 degrees on hot ass days. How would I cool this? I am afriad that too much heat will be trapped in the trunk and keep the computer running too hot. There won't be anyware to vent hot air or bring in cold air (this might require a car mod, dunno)
2. Will a hard drive taking the abuse of bumps in the road destroy it quickly? Are there any special drives that are able to handle the impact or special suspension systems that could be made or purchased? Secondly, I plan on having two 12" or 15" subs in the back with the computer which I am thinking would cause too many vibrations on the hard drive. Should the computer be placed inside the car? Or maybe the hard drive?

Let me know what you all think. I know that you've build systems like this before.

I'm sure someone will link you to the carputer posts soon but my suggestions are...

1. Put the computer in the passenger compartment, it's not usually as hot in there and it will be away from those nasty subwoofers.

2. Use a via cpu or another that doesn't usually get hotter than ambient anyway AND throw a huge heatsink on it.

3. Use a laptop hard drive, they're more durable (meant to be carried around / dropped / used in a hotter environment).

Back