Cloning to Sata Raid........solution found!

Brewsir

n00b
When I got home with True Image 7 yesterday, I intended to download the update. I forgot, and that's why I had so much trouble, because the update includes support for sata raid. Anyway, I updated the software, cloned the c: drive to the raid array, reboot to clone, turned off computer after cloning, unplugged original c:drive hard disk, and booted right up to windows with my new raid drive, shut down again, plugged in original c:drive, and everything is great.

I posted this because I know a lot of people have had to do the same thing I did the last time a had a raid drive. Which is to do the fresh install dance on the new raid drive. I posted about this on hardocp, storage review, and major geeks forums, and no one had a solution, so maybe this will help someone out. Hopefully this will keep someone out of the frustration I've been going through trying to clone to raid. Cheers.

Did you clone to Raid 0? I might have to do a similar thing...clone an IDE drive to SATA Raid 0.

Thanks,
Kevin

Yes I did, from my c: ide drive, to my new raid striped array. The last time I tried this, I had to settle for putting a fresh win install on the raid drive to get it to be bootable.

Do you think you can briefly outline the process or link me to any guides you might know of? I have never set up a RAID array, but it looks like I am going to have to now, and I need to do exactly what you just did.

Right now I have an IDE drive, and am purchasing two drives to put on SATA Raid 0, though I don't know how to do any of it yet.

Thanks,
Kevin

I'm sorry but I'm kind of confused by your post. What is true image 7, and I don't understand what you mean by this: " reboot to clone, turned off computer after cloning," Could you claify please?

Originally posted by pbXassassinX1524
I'm sorry but I'm kind of confused by your post. What is true image 7, and I don't understand what you mean by this: " reboot to clone, turned off computer after cloning," Could you claify please?
True Image 7: image cloning software product from acronis
Http://www.acronis.com

To answer your question, he rebooted to clone the old hdd to an image file (do a Google for hdd cloning...that's what is required for hdd cloning unless you have drive image 7/v2i protector).
He then would have had to power the machine off to remove the old drive from the system, clone the image to the new drive/array, and reboot.

Originally posted by pbXassassinX1524

True image 7, is drive copy software from a company called Acronis. What I mean by "reboot to clone". Basically when you execute the program, the real work takes place in windows after reboot, but before it gets to the desktop, you know, like you were running checkdisk. Now, it's all the way into windows, I shut the computer down, to unplug the other hard drives so there's only one it can boot from, my new raid. Once I've got a successful boot, then I shut down again, plug into the old hard drives, boot up, and all is good.

I hope that's clear as mud.

Back