Changing Windows Boot Manager descriptive name (not loader.)

Shotglass01

[H]ard|Gawd
[H]ello [H]ardforum! I run separate NVMe drives on my system for different reasons. The issue is, with this new build, I have no idea which drive I am booting in to. I don't want Windows booting up asking me which OS to load. I want each drive with it's own boot loader. The board I'm using has no option to rename the boot drives or shut down NVMe drives. You can see my dilemma. Searching seems to only bring up how to change the descrition in the boot loader. Thanks much!!

WMBoot1.jpg

WMBoot2.jpg

Think nvrboot is what you want:

To run Nvrboot

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. From the boot menu, choose EFI Shell.
  3. At the shell prompt, type the drive letter or file system number of the system partition, such as C: or FSn, where n is the file system number of the system partition.
  4. Type cd msutil to navigate to the Msutil directory where nvrboot.efi is located.
  5. To start Nvrboot, type nvrboot.
To find instructions for Nvrboot, type h

They don't say how to change the boot option labels, but that should be in the help output of nvrboot (if it can do it).

I think there are some linux utilities that can do it too, but that would depend on whether your firmware allows writing from the OS.

i thought only changed what would display in the windows boot manager menu. he wants to change what the bios is showing.
Yea you are probably right. I thought it might change the BIOS too but I've only dealt with single "Windows Boot Volume" environments so never actually confirmed.

Maybe an alternative take to this is put all the Windows installs on one NVME so you're always booting off of just one drive in the BIOS. Then you could pick the OS on this type of menu that shows up.
1695258211301.png

I always get a chuckle out of things folks decide to obfuscate in screenshots. Makes no sense to do so in a lot of cases :ROFLMAO:

I am genuinely curious why you wouldn't just use the service that's designed for exactly this purpose though.

It's not that obscure. I run, as an example, games dedicated to one drive. That drive doesn't need office or banking info stored there. When it boots, I've taken the other 2 offline in Disk Management. So, yes, technically, a well written vulnerability could infect the other drives, but I think it would be much more difficult. The other drives are set up the same way. Anyway, I have found a workaround. Pressing F11 gets into a boot menu and the choices stay the same so drive 1 is always drive 1 and so on. If I don't get too drunk, I'll know which drive I'm booting into. 🤣

re what was suggested; you create three partitions, get everything booting and then hide them from each other via disk manager.
if youre happy with how it is now, and you remember which is which, leave it.
edited speelin

Last edited:
Back