Changing the MAC adress of a cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emre

Weaksauce
Is it possible to mod the hardwired MAC number of a cable modem ?

why would you want to do that? they provision the modem based of that (correct me if i'm worng here). Even if you could you wouldn't be able to snyc back up.

Synching back up is not my concern, Im just wondering if its possible

possible yes, probable no. The mac is coded into a chip. With the right soldering skills you could possibly replace the chip

Originally posted by Brink
No, it's not possible.

next stupid question please.

not a stuped question, just a hard solution.

you could prob resolder a chip, i doubt you could spoof the mac address.

maybe there is an option (low level) to change the mac address, but you would have to have those permissions to the modem.

Originally posted by []wave
not a stuped question, just a hard solution.

you could prob resolder a chip, i doubt you could spoof the mac address.

maybe there is an option (low level) to change the mac address, but you would have to have those permissions to the modem.

rest assured, for whatever reason he's seeking to do this, is very very stupid =P

lol, you dont know why im seekin it, yet its still very stupid ?

its whoever trolls and has no positive input in a thread is the stupidiest fuckin moron ever.. rest assured

because you're no doubt an idiot who has NO clue what he's doing (hence asking HERE of all places) and you want to change your MAC? No doubt you think you can circumvent your ISP's cable network or "uncap" your modem.

Most people here know there is NO legitimate reason to be fucking with a MAC address, less it be illegal. You most likely don't even OWN the modem and your fucking with data that is specifically made NOT to be fucked with.

your a fucking moron who's asking about a fucking illegal activity, why the fuck would I want to help your worthless ass?

stupidiest lol.

YES YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I've done it and I dont know jack shit about networking.

I got banned from a place, changed mac, and now I'm back :D

Originally posted by Emre

its whoever trolls and has no positive input in a thread is the stupidiest fuckin moron ever.. rest assured

You are such a charming gent....Why don't you get out and meet some nice people, who will probably beat the beegezzus out of you for being such a cocky assmonger.

And it's flamer...not troll...

By the way: I think the MAC address is hardwired into the modem, but I'm not really sure.

Cheers,

Flip

It could probably be changed... but, it'll be very difficult. The MAC is set during assembly, therefore it could be changed afterward. However, there really isn't any reason for anyone to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back