Change LEDs in Fan Controller

Dude, did you even read the reviews on that site? I don't think you really want to waste money on that. Three reviewers (one reviewer did two reviews one when he first got it and a four months later) the highest score was two stars!?

Anyway, it appears that there are only 10 LEDs (four knobs with two LEDs and the two end knobs with one LED each). In looking at photos you should be able to remove the circuit board and remove/replace the LEDs. None of the photos were good enough to see if they were socketed or soldered into place. I can't find where anyone has actually done it and posted on the web about the modification.
Please let us know how it turns out.

It's a sure thing those LEDs are soldered in place. That makes them harder to remove, but if you've got a soldering iron and some patience, it isn't too big of a deal. If you're replacing blue LEDs with red/green/whatever, you might also want to replace their current-limiting resistors too. Other colors of LED drop less voltage, so with the same resistor they'll draw more current, potentially overdriving the LEDs.

And then I go and look at reviews done by reviewers and its a different story...http://www.overclockers.com/lamptron-fc2-fc3-fan-controller-review/

i rarely/if ever take into consideration reviews on the purchasing site, since 90% of the time the problem is user related or just a pissed off person who got a bad unit.

Ill probably end up ordering it, and worst case just cutt the LED's leads if I cant find a way to swap them.

Thanks for the info guys.

Dude, did you even read the reviews on that site? I don't think you really want to waste money on that. Three reviewers (one reviewer did two reviews one when he first got it and a four months later) the highest score was two stars!?

Anyway, it appears that there are only 10 LEDs (four knobs with two LEDs and the two end knobs with one LED each). In looking at photos you should be able to remove the circuit board and remove/replace the LEDs. None of the photos were good enough to see if they were socketed or soldered into place. I can't find where anyone has actually done it and posted on the web about the modification.
Please let us know how it turns out.

They're just soldered in there. Through-hole soldering is the easiest. Through-hole DE-soldering is probably one of the hardest, but a board like that shouldn't have a really pin-to-hole tightness. I always use a de-soldering iron for through-hole stuff. Wicks and solder suckers are simply crap and don't work. I don't know why anyone would recommend them. Wicks are really for removing excess solder, mainly for getting rid of solder bridges from SMD reflow work. Anyway... Soldering through hole is the easiest, as you have the holes holding in the piece, and the pad and pin heat up really quickly. Some cheap tools from Radio Shack are fine for any basic work like replacing a few LEDs on a simple board, like this work.

Back