Cat6?

zachary80

2[H]4U
Are there any benefits or disadvantages to uses CAT6 instead of CAT5 cable for a network (computers and xboxs)?

Cost is really the only downside. They might also be a bit more fragile.

For the most part they are over-spec for any modern network since you can run virtually all gigE over Cat5e. If your are working with extreme distances near the limit (100 meters/328 feet) then you might want to consider Cat6.

Mainly just future-proofing. If you want to run copper Ethernet cable behind walls, future-proofing is important, as it's a major PITA to replace it later.

For patch cables, it's common to just use Cat5e.

i thought cat 5e = cat 6, which was a thicker bulkier cat 5 and able to support gigabit

Basically Cat6 is a cable standard, that will allow up to 250MHz signal operation. This is 1000 Mbps or high speed broadband signals. Cat5 is only rated to 100Mbps and Cat5e is just below Cat6 but still rated at 1000Mbps.

Actually, every document I've seen states that the MHz requirement for UTP Cat6 is indeed 250MHz. Some manufacturers will list their cable as tested to higher speeds--for example, I was able to get Cat5e cable rated to 350Mhz even before Cat6--but that's more for headroom in compliance with future standards like UTP Cat7 and 10Gbit Ethernet.

In UTP Cat6, all four pairs are used, and a PAM5 signaling method is used to deliver multiple bits per pair in the same clock cycle. So properly specced and properly terminated UTP Cat6 gets at least 250(MHz)*2(bits per cycle)*2(pairs)=1000Mbits in either direction, barring cosmic rays, sharp-toothed rodents, and other accidental bit-loss. ;)

Originally posted by Kelledin
Actually, every document I've seen states that the MHz requirement for UTP Cat6 is indeed 250MHz. Some manufacturers will list their cable as tested to higher speeds--for example, I was able to get Cat5e cable rated to 350Mhz even before Cat6--but that's more for headroom in compliance with future standards like UTP Cat7 and 10Gbit Ethernet.

In UTP Cat6, all four pairs are used, and a PAM5 signaling method is used to deliver multiple bits per pair in the same clock cycle. So properly specced and properly terminated UTP Cat6 gets at least 250(MHz)*2(bits per cycle)*2(pairs)=1000Mbits in either direction, barring cosmic rays, sharp-toothed rodents, and other accidental bit-loss. ;)

Thats what I have been reading... I am glad my facts are correct.

Originally posted by Zardoz
Thats what I have been reading... I am glad my facts are correct.
You'll rarely find Cat6 rated at 250MHz though, and that's what I was trying to say.

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
You'll rarely find Cat6 rated at 250MHz though, and that's what I was trying to say.

If it's not, then it is substandard, and I would not buy it. It's like buying a new car that does not meet safety regulations. I.e. substandard...

Originally posted by Kelledin
Mainly just future-proofing. If you want to run copper Ethernet cable behind walls, future-proofing is important, as it's a major PITA to replace it later.

Boy - isn't that the truth.

Back