can a router be connect to a router?

240meowth

n00b
Hello guys, I'm new here, I'm kind of confused about a few things and I'll try to be as specific as possible, and sorry if i'm not using the correct terms, etc.

I am currently running a small business out of my garage. I want to have wirless internet access in my garage as well, but my wirless router (by D-link) can't send the signals far enough to my garage. Currently I have a VERY LONG (100ft) cat-5 cables running from my wirless router to my garage, can i connect another wirless router at the end of the cat-5 cable and create a wirless area in my garage? or is there a alternative solution?

Also, I don't know what it is called, but I saw on some home shopping channel that had a laptop that was connected to wirless internet via USB. How do I create a set-up like that? Because my laptop's PCMCIA slot is occupied by another device.

thanks for looking

100 ft. isn't a long CAT5 cable. :p

Connet that cable to the uplink port of another router/accesspoint. Don't forget to disable the DHCP services.

Also, why do you want wireless outside if you are running a cable anyways?

What you'd want is a switch and a Wireless Access Point (AP) rather than a Wireless router. You'll want to plug your 100ft Cable into the switch so you can have other wired connections if you need to. Then plug the AP into the switch. When you configure the AP, make sure that you set the SSID and security settings the SAME as you did in the main wireless router. Also turn off DHCP in the AP as well.

You've got the DI-514? or the DI-614+ Right? I'd reccomend the DWL-900AP+ then as the AP, same config screens, etc...

As far as the USB thing goes, it's exactly as you think. Just plug it in and load the driver.

Thanks for the help, you guys really know what you guys are talking about! :D

I'll try the DWL-900AP+ and if I ran into any more problems I will let you guys know, because I don't know what all the term you guys are using are.

But, can you please expand on the wirless USB thing? Where can I buy them? And will the wireless USB work w/ the DWL-900AP+?

Thanks a bunch

You can get a wireless access point or a wireless router for the garage. If you get a wireless router just ignore the WAN port and turn off DHCP and you will be fine. I've noticed now days a wireless router/access point combo is cheaper then a access point alone. It's just where the market is.

Regarding USB wireless adapters, I think you are making it more complicated then it is. They work the same as any other wirless adapter but instead of connected via PCMCIA or PCI they connect USB. That simple. However from my limited expeirence with USB adapters they sucked. You can buy them from anywhere that sells wireless, here are some examples.

D-Link
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-127-123&catalog=31&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Linksys
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-103&depa=1

Netgear
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-150-008&depa=1

The linksys one is the what I had issues with in the past. Out of all of them I would go with the Netgear. It supports both 802.11b & g and I've always had good luck with Netgear wireless.

Back