Can a primary HD and a primary CD run off the same IDE cable?

Mekanic01

Gawd
Or even run the cd as slave? but both on the same IDE, I think one if the IDEs on my board is bad.

you can't have the jumpers for both set to primary on the same IDE cable. You CAN have one be the master and one the slave on the same cable. That will work.

Only one can be master, so it would be the HD as master and the CD as slave.

However I'll warn you that this is the worst way to set up a system, since when running games, for instance, both the CD and the HD will be using the same IDE channel. It can be done, but unless it's absolutely necessary it probably shouldn't be done.

Originally posted by Scalpel
Only one can be master, so it would be the HD as master and the CD as slave.

However I'll warn you that this is the worst way to set up a system, since when running games, for instance, both the CD and the HD will be using the same IDE channel. It can be done, but unless it's absolutely necessary it probably shouldn't be done.

Better idea - rip the cd image and mount it to a virtual drive and play it off of that. Then it is all of the harddrive.

it can be done but im pretty sure both will run at the lower speed of 33mb/s. (33mb/s being the cdrom speed)

Originally posted by jamestime88
it can be done but im pretty sure both will run at the lower speed of 33mb/s. (33mb/s being the cdrom speed)

This has not been true for quite some time..

All modern IDE controllers and drives support indenpendent timing. This means both drives will run at their highest supported speed.

Back