Cable internet

Confederate

Limp Gawd
Ok id like to ask why would i get a downoad speed of 1300kB/S on my pc and get 2700 kB/S on my sons we both go thru a microsoft router i tried swicthing pc to each cable but his always gets double the speed. i even changed my ethernet card
heres the fastest i get>Transmission Speed 1701 Kb/s

My specs on those pcs are > Mine is a athon 2.6 with XP pro operating system ,512 corsair ram 120 gig hd dvd burner 8x and dvd cr rom ,mostly have games instaled Unreal tournament , Soldier of fortune 2 etc.

My sons pc is windows XP profesianal , athon 1.4 , and basically same games on his , he has 40 gig hd
we both are connceted thru a 4 port microsoft router im suppose to get 3000kb/s download 250 kb/s upload
i went to dsl reports and kept checking sure enough he gets 2700 i get 1100 or 1300
why would he get more download bandwidth? Im using a msi nvidian force mother board , his is a k7sa thunderbird motherboard
what i did find is my buddie has 2 computers almost exactlyas my two and we found out both of us are getting lower bandwidth on our MSI Nvidia Nforce computers,,is this anysignifdance ??

How are you calculating these speeds? Downloading files?

Try a few runs from the Speed Check in the Tools section of www.dslreports.com

Run it a few times on each computer, post the average.

those speeds are from dslreports, i just dont know how to post the results here without just typing the results in for you
Im running AVG i tried delteng it and results didnt change so i reinstalled it ,Whats IE?And im running spbot and ad ware 6.0 programs , i havent found anything, no viruses and spyware have been low for treat level

Same thing here I always get attacked by my brother cause when we play games on the internet together I get better speeds. i think it has something to do with how much your computer hogs the connection. Im pretty sure the router remembers which port demands it most on average then by default sets ure bandwidth level accordingly. DOnt quote me on it but thats what mine does, I dont have a solution but thought I would put that all in

try running the tweak test on dslreports.com and tweak your settings according to that and see what it gets after that.

Well that all looks good. Did you skip the router and just go directly to the computer? If it's still that way at that point I'm about out of idea's

Originally posted by ChappyChaps11
Same thing here I always get attacked by my brother cause when we play games on the internet together I get better speeds. i think it has something to do with how much your computer hogs the connection. Im pretty sure the router remembers which port demands it most on average then by default sets ure bandwidth level accordingly. DOnt quote me on it but thats what mine does, I dont have a solution but thought I would put that all in
dont mean to quote you :p but thats for sure something that any SOHO router or even an out of the box enterprise router will do.....
and to input my .02$ to this thread, it sounds like a windoze problem more than likely. who knows why, all of my machines running *bsd get nearly the same exact speeds, but my three windoze boxes vary greatly on speed tests. so feh.:D

CAN I COMPUTER BE FIGURED DIFFERENTLY IN BIOS OR SOMTHING .oops sorryabout shouting..lol Anyways without router i get same download speed only half of what other pc gets , i removed router and plug directly intinternet with both machines but mines gets half the speed as his???

A few questions I have are:

1. Are both computer's network cards the same make and model?

2. What make and model are each NIC?

3. Are both NIC's drivers updated?

4. Can you verify the NICs are operating at 10 or 100 and if they are full or half duplex?

5. Are the NICs built in to the mobo or add in cards?

Originally posted by SJConsultant
A few questions I have are:

1. Are both computer's network cards the same make and model?

2. What make and model are each NIC?

3. Are both NIC's drivers updated?

4. Can you verify the NICs are operating at 10 or 100 and if they are full or half duplex?

5. Are the NICs built in to the mobo or add in cards?
1 no not same
2 mines motherboard his is netgear
3 ummmm no havent tried that
4 they both say 100 ??

Originally posted by Confederate
1 no not same
4 they both say 100 ??

There's probably a data bottleneck somewhere on your system, either at the CPU, or you have another problem. Really, you shouldn't worry too much about this, there doesn't appear to be an actual problem here... This could be caused by many many things, including drivers, CPU usage, other programs on your machine, and many other things that I probably don't even know.

I'd suggest, at this point, becoming more intimate with the active processes on your computer, run some programs like Cacheman, defrag drives, do all kinds of things to get your computer into the tip top of it's possible shape.

There is one thing I can think of... Check to see if your LAN card is sharing an IRQ with another device. You do that by clicking start -> run then type 'msinfo32.exe' and click okay.Expand the Hardware list by clicking the +, then click IRQ to see a list of your IRQ's. If your LAN chip/card is sharing an IRQ with anything, that might be causing some, if not all, of your problem...

Originally posted by Confederate
1 no not same
4 they both say 100 ??

Try updating the drivers for your network card from the mobo manf. , earlier you had stated you changed your NIC card, did you simply add a PCI nic to your computer? Have you tried his Netgear NIC in your computer?

One thing you did not mention is what speed is your cable service?

Back