Buying a laptop

PhreakPhy

Limp Gawd
I am going to be buying a laptop soon, and I was hoping to get some input on what to get being that I have never purchased one before. It's Main purpose is going to be to carry around campus. I have been eyeballing the Dell Inspiron 8600 mainly for the centrino, and the Radion 9600 Pro. Battery life and mobility is an issue, but I also want tons of power. Right now the dell is the only thing I've really looked at, what are some other systems worth considering?

Even though I just bought an Inspiron 5150, I would recommend the IBM R40 or T40. Both those are pretty nice, powerful, and relatively light.

what is your price range?

if you are budgetless...go for the IBM T41p. They are built to last.

they are powerful, light, and durable....but you will pay for it.

Don't underestimate the importance of weight...I had an inspiron 8200 when i went to school last year, and found it easier to use my desktop cause 7+ lbs is too much to carry everywhere around campus. I gave that to my mom, and this year I'm living off campus so i have more time inbetween classes...i got a latitude d500 which weighs under 5 lbs, and i love it. I have a nice desktop, so it wasnt worth it to shell out $2k+ for a laptop, but one that isn't small and light is pretty much useless. If you can afford the T40, go with that...otherwise get something small and decently cheap, and use a desktop as well. (heh coding on a 14-15 inch screen is hell)

Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff
Don't underestimate the importance of weight...I had an inspiron 8200 when i went to school last year, and found it easier to use my desktop cause 7+ lbs is too much to carry everywhere around campus. I gave that to my mom, and this year I'm living off campus so i have more time inbetween classes...i got a latitude d500 which weighs under 5 lbs, and i love it. I have a nice desktop, so it wasnt worth it to shell out $2k+ for a laptop, but one that isn't small and light is pretty much useless. If you can afford the T40, go with that...otherwise get something small and decently cheap, and use a desktop as well. (heh coding on a 14-15 inch screen is hell)

autocad on a 14inch screen is hell. hehe

The i8600 is actually a very sweet machine, if you buy it at the right time and get the proper discounts.

I'm buying 1 for myself on Monday.

7 lbs is fine. Its much lighter than a 50lb desktop. As far as budget goes with the Dell 8600 that i priced it was about 2400 but i get a discount from my work be cause we have a partnership through dell.

tinysmall, im also looking at that one... what discounts are making you wanna buy it today?

Originally posted by PhreakPhy
7 lbs is fine. Its much lighter than a 50lb desktop. As far as budget goes with the Dell 8600 that i priced it was about 2400 but i get a discount from my work be cause we have a partnership through dell.

7 pounds is NOT fine if you're going to be carrying it around alot. I find my 5 pound 600M to be WAY too heavy. I wish I had gotten an ultralight laptop. Also wish I had not gotten a Dell. Dells blow chunks.

Originally posted by Mojo JoJo
Even though I just bought an Inspiron 5150, I would recommend the IBM R40 or T40. Both those are pretty nice, powerful, and relatively light.

Sounds like excellent advice to me. If I could do it over again - I'd get an IBM. Completley worth the price.

Originally posted by NleahciM
Also wish I had not gotten a Dell. Dells blow chunks.

Why does Dell blow chunks? I'm interested in getting a Dell Inspiron 5150 for coding as well as pass the time between classes. From the looks of it:

3.06Ghz , 533 Mhz FSB
256 MB SDR, 1 Dimm
40GB HD
32MB GeForce FX Go5200 (DirectX 9 capable,4x AGP)
96 WattHour lith. battery
plus etc.

Add in the coupons + discount and it comes to ~$1070. Free S&H.

That's not bad at all..

Is there a better deal, or is there a tendency for Dell Laptops to fall apart or weight a ton or something?

Originally posted by Unit-0
Why does Dell blow chunks? I'm interested in getting a Dell Inspiron 5150 for coding as well as 3D gaming between classes. From the looks of it:

3.06Ghz , 533 Mhz FSB
256 MB DDR, 1 Dimm (additional 256MB exchange for -$100)
40GB HD
32MB GeForce FX Go5200 (DirectX 9 capable,4x AGP)
96 WattHour lith. battery
plus etc.

Add in the coupons + discount and it comes to ~$1070. Free S&H.

Is there a better deal, or is there a tendency for Dell Laptops to fall apart or weight a ton or something?

Crud! Clicked Quote instead of Edit/Delete. =\

The Dell is a nice notebook, I've had a chance to work with an 8500 for quite a bit of time, and overall it's okay.

Despite IBM's T-series lagging a little behind, you would be hard pressed to find a lighter more durable (with incredible battery life) notebook. The plastic on the Dells was a huge turnoff for me.

Before you place your order, go check out someone's 8600 in person, make sure you put it in your hands and fell the weight, etc. Also, run by Circuit City and get a good backpack for it (I have Targus that just rocks)

Originally posted by cazicthule
tinysmall, im also looking at that one... what discounts are making you wanna buy it today?
Today is the last day I think of the discounts?

$350 off refurbished models and free shipping. It rocks, if you hurry you can get a top of the line i8600 for about $1600 including 80GB HD, 512MB Ram and a DVD burner.

That's what I got, anyways :)

Originally posted by NleahciM
7 pounds is NOT fine if you're going to be carrying it around alot. I find my 5 pound 600M to be WAY too heavy. I wish I had gotten an ultralight laptop. Also wish I had not gotten a Dell. Dells blow chunks.
No offense, but you really need to get more exercise if that's how you feel about 7 pounds. Esp. considering there are bags with straps and backpacks.

After a little more searching I found that the Compaq X1000, or is it HP, would fit my needs quite well. It is either that or the Dell 8600. Dose anyone here own a X1000. What do you think of it? Of cource I have read the reviews, but I would like some "real people" input on this.

There is a fan site for the x1000 at www.x1000forums.com. I don't recommend the Dell 8600 due to quality issues, heat and consumer technical support that has been subcontracted to the lowest bidder in India.

If you are interested in a laptop that has better build quality and technical support than either the Compaq X1000 or the Dell 8600, I recommend the Gateway M505. Reviews and comments on the Gateway M505 are here.

Well that is definitly an option. Any idea how the bettey life is compared to the HP X1000? TechTV said it (x1000) has awsome batt life. Well comparativly.

Originally posted by tinysmall
No offense, but you really need to get more exercise if that's how you feel about 7 pounds. Esp. considering there are bags with straps and backpacks.

Buddy, after carrying around 8lb laptops, books, and more, you look to limit the weight as much as you can. It's not that we can't lift it, but you really do get tired of lugging it everywhere. It adds up, eventually.

Originally posted by BargainSeeker
There is a fan site for the x1000 at www.x1000forums.com. I don't recommend the Dell 8600 due to quality issues, heat and consumer technical support that has been subcontracted to the lowest bidder in India.

If you are interested in a laptop that has better build quality and technical support than either the Compaq X1000 or the Dell 8600, I recommend the Gateway M505. Reviews and comments on the Gateway M505 are here.

Compaq/HP has always been considered low end for build quality. I've never seen a Dell blow up, I HAVE seen a compaq that detonated.

Oh, and HP/Compaq is currently in trouble for lying about which video card they are using in their laptops, so I wouldn't go there.

Oh, and the Dell support? Is back in the US again.

Originally posted by PhreakPhy
Well that is definitly an option. Any idea how the bettey life is compared to the HP X1000? TechTV said it (x1000) has awsome batt life. Well comparativly.
The Gateway M505 gets 4-1/2 hours plus of battery life. If you read the review thread I linked to, you can see for yourself. Also, the ATI 9600 equipped Gateway M505 is 2-3 times faster in gaming performance than the X1000 with ATI 9000. You can play DirectX version 9 games on the M505 at good frame rates.

Originally posted by lopoetve
Compaq/HP has always been considered low end for build quality. I've never seen a Dell blow up, I HAVE seen a compaq that detonated.
Both the Dell 8600 and the Compaq X1000 are made by the same Taiwan-based manufacturer: Compal. The Gateway M505 is made by Wistron who also makes X- and R-series ThinkPads for IBM.

Buddy, after carrying around 8lb laptops, books, and more, you look to limit the weight as much as you can. It's not that we can't lift it, but you really do get tired of lugging it everywhere. It adds up, eventually
I hear ya. But from what I've seen in looking at ultra light laptops, you save maybe what. 2, 3 pounds MAX? And for that 3 pounds typically end up paying $1000 more, and get 1/2 the features. It just doesn't seem worth it to me for 3 pounds? My coffee cup weighs almost that.

Man, you must have a huge coffee cup.:)

I do agree with you though, I'll tough it out instead of giving up more hard earned cash as well as features.

The x1000 is a great series...they can be had from BestBuy on special for rather cheap (you can also custom build to make sure you get the 64mb video card + SXGA+ screen). I almost got one there...

Then checked out the Gateway 505, it's also cool and I think the Gateway is built a little better...

Then I settled on the t40p. You pay a premium but I couldn't be more pleased.

Only for corporate customers, not for individual consumers.

The phone center for both, if I read correctly at Dell, is now back in the US, after a great deal of frustration.

Both the Dell 8600 and the Compaq X1000 are made by the same Taiwan-based manufacturer: Compal. The Gateway M505 is made by Wistron who also makes X- and R-series ThinkPads for IBM.

Yes, but there are different levels of construction quality in the designs of all of those, the constructor builds it to the design spec. IBM has one design, Gateway another. Just because they are made at the same place, does not make them the same. IBM > Gateway, and Dell > Compaq/HP. The Pinto was made at the same factory that made many other, GOOD, Ford cars...

Dell doesn't lie about what they use to build their computers. HP/Compaq does. (That 64mb Video card isn't what you think it is).

Originally posted by tinysmall
I hear ya. But from what I've seen in looking at ultra light laptops, you save maybe what. 2, 3 pounds MAX? And for that 3 pounds typically end up paying $1000 more, and get 1/2 the features. It just doesn't seem worth it to me for 3 pounds? My coffee cup weighs almost that.

You can save 4lbs.

And you can get EVERY feature you could ever want. Just look around a little. The Inspiron 600m has most, the Powerbook 12" has just about everything you could ever want (and the battery life to boot), as do a great many of other companies' small lappys.

Just because it's small, doesn't mean that is has to sacrifice features.

Originally posted by lopoetve
Yes, but there are different levels of construction quality in the designs of all of those, the constructor builds it to the design spec. IBM has one design, Gateway another. Just because they are made at the same place, does not make them the same. IBM > Gateway, and Dell > Compaq/HP. The Pinto was made at the same factory that made many other, GOOD, Ford cars...

Dell doesn't lie about what they use to build their computers. HP/Compaq does. (That 64mb Video card isn't what you think it is).
I have found that the OEM manufacturer is a very good indicator of notebook quality. For example, I agree with you that the Dell Inspiron 600M that you mention in a previous post is a well made notebook. I don't think it's merely a coincidence, though, that Wistron makes Dell's small notebooks.

The Dell 8600 is an altogether different machine, however. Its hinges creak and its case flexes. The keyboard is mushy on one side. The mouse buttons on the trackpoint are unusable to the point of being a design defect. When equipped with ATI 9600 graphics, it runs so hot that it would burn your lap.

If you read the Dell forums, it appears that Dell lies as well. They have apparently misrepresented the response time of the WSXGA+ screen that they have been shipping in the 8600s.

I hope you are right about Dell moving consumer technical support back to the U.S. The last I checked (a few days ago), you could get U.S. support, but only if you paid extra for "gold" service.

Back