Burning Software on Linux

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Hello -

I searched but maybe not correctly so I was wondering if there is a fairly user friendly program that runs on Linux Fedora Core Project to burn data on to CD or DVD blanks?

If anyone can point me in the right direction - I thank you...

I don't know if this makes any difference but I will post anyways...

I am using:

Fedora Core 2
upgraded 8k stacks kernel (for nVidia graphics)
KDE 3.2 desktop
32 bit version for AMD XP
TDK IndiDVD Dual format DVD burner

That looks very nice and I have heard good things about k3b.

Can this be downloaded using APT-GET or YUM?

I'll give it a shot when I am home from work but just wondering what the best way to go about installing this to my OS?

They may have packages already made for you, if you can't get it through those systems, you could just look on there site, and install it that way. I don't use Fedora, or any other RPM based distro, so I can't say for sure what you need to do.

dude youre on fedora?

nautalus is built into the os man, just pop in a blank cd, drag files over to it, click burn

if its an iso, just right click on the iso away you go

Code:
[carlwill@localhost carlwill]$ nautalus
bash: nautalus: command not found

Any idea how to make sure this was installed on my OS?

double click on your home folder on the desktop, and go to help and about

simple as that =)

nautalus is right there built into the os, in fact its so in yer face, its easy to overlook. dont feel bad i did the same exact thing, and felt silly afterward

what SHOULD happen is you should be able to put in a blank cd then a cd creator window should pop up. it was designed to be really simple.

edit:

youre running gnome right?

K3b is on the fedora core 2 package list so just type:

Code:
yum install k3b

At the command line and press yes and it will download and install k3b along with any dependancies which should then be accessible of the kde start menu, its under sound and video I think.

First off, he's running KDE which doesn't come with Nautilus, second it's spelled nautilus. Nautilus only works well when you have it running with gnome, any other window manager and it can screw things up without the right features turned off.

K3B is probably the best burning program out there for newbies. Has a lot of great features.

wow i misspelled a word. oh my god what a complete dufus i must be, thank you for pointing out that because i misspelled a word i should slit my wrists.

I'll recommend K3B as well, especially since you're using KDE (k3b starts kdeinit and such if you're not in KDE, which sucks up resources).

K3b is an excellent burning program, and it works very well with ATAPI drives.

emailthatguy said:
wow i misspelled a word. oh my god what a complete dufus i must be, thank you for pointing out that because i misspelled a word i should slit my wrists.

It's kind of important when the guy is trying to run a program and doesn't have the correct spelling.

Thanks everyone for your patience and point me in the right direction...

I installed k3b using apt-get and will try it some day.

:D

Too bad you don't understand why your spelling was brought up.

it's okay guys - I don't want to turn this in to a negative thread - it was a simple mistake

Thanks all again for info ...

Back