Build Your Own laptop???

The following companies build their own laptops.

IBM
Dell
Gateway
Hewlett Packard
Alienware
etc. etc. etc......

And now my question is, where do they get all the parts to build notebooks???? If tehse companies can order enclosures/guts/etc., how come we can't?

most of the companies use taiwanese OEM's like winstron to build there laptops. Gateway uses winstron i know

Originally posted by DirtyDiaperz
The following companies build their own laptops.

IBM
Dell
Gateway
Hewlett Packard
Alienware

None of those companies build their own laptops.

well, it wouldn't surprise me if IBM might...since they tend to share nothing in common with the rest of the market :p

I know Dell went to Samsung for the D300 or whatever

Alienware, Sager, Prostar all use Clevo.

okay, so i stand corrected. i had no idea that they went to these other companies to have them build them. so now, i want to know where companies like winstron and clevo get their parts?? and how come these aren't available to the general public? to get a laptop that is good and that you like, you should expect to spend 1-2000 dollars. i'd do that if i could afford it - i am in high school and 2000 dollars is like my entire life savings. besides, it would just be cool to build one.

Originally posted by DirtyDiaperz
okay, so i stand corrected. i had no idea that they went to these other companies to have them build them. so now, i want to know where companies like winstron and clevo get their parts?? and how come these aren't available to the general public? to get a laptop that is good and that you like, you should expect to spend 1-2000 dollars. i'd do that if i could afford it - i am in high school and 2000 dollars is like my entire life savings. besides, it would just be cool to build one.

Because Clevo, Uniwell, etc MAKE the parts, and the cost of making one for ourselves is prohibative. There are WAY too many things that could go wrong for the average consumer. They don't want to sell parts, they want to sell laptops. Too small a market for the DIY people there. e

Plus, you can find them cheaper. Shop more. You don't have to spend $2k for the best.

Originally posted by NecessaryEvil
well, it wouldn't surprise me if IBM might...since they tend to share nothing in common with the rest of the market :p

I know Dell went to Samsung for the D300 or whatever

Alienware, Sager, Prostar all use Clevo.

IBM doesn't, they rebadge, and Alienware is currently rebadging Uniwells.

Originally posted by Shyne151
So who makes IBMs then?

Either Arima or the other Tiawan big manu. that I can't remember. they are IBM's design though.

You have to understand there are many ways to "build a laptop." Big name companies, like IBM have Toshiba, have its own laptop division where they design, engineer, test and manufacture their products. Their engineers have to work out all the technical challenges and new features with other engineers who are in charge of components, like mainboard, keybord, screen etc. Components can be supplied from outside vendors or affiliates. For example.,Toshiba has affiliates who can design and manufacture the HDD, cd-roms, for example. But in many cases, the components are contracted out to different companies after having worked out the all the specs the PC designer/engineers require. Assembling all the components can be also outsourced or done in-house. Thus, you cannot really pin point one universal way of "building a laptop" Interesting examples are early Powerbook models were in fact manufactured by SONY, and tiny Libretto of Toshiba was made possible by technical contribution from JVC.

Going back to the original question, who manufactures the components of laptop? the answer is "components suppliers". Usually these components are manufactured under the contract with exclusive clause to minimize the financial risk for component suppliers and to protect techinical advantage of the ordering company. That is why an individual cannot easily buy the laptop components, except for a fairly standarlised items, such as memory module, HDD and CD/DVD drives.

Originally posted by kick2max
You have to understand there are many ways to "build a laptop." Big name companies, like IBM have Toshiba, have its own laptop division where they design, engineer, test and manufacture their products. Their engineers have to work out all the technical challenges and new features with other engineers who are in charge of components, like mainboard, keybord, screen etc. Components can be supplied from outside vendors or affiliates. For example.,Toshiba has affiliates who can design and manufacture the HDD, cd-roms, for example. But in many cases, the components are contracted out to different companies after having worked out the all the specs the PC designer/engineers require. Assembling all the components can be also outsourced or done in-house. Thus, you cannot really pin point one universal way of "building a laptop" Interesting examples are early Powerbook models were in fact manufactured by SONY, and tiny Libretto of Toshiba was made possible by technical contribution from JVC.

Going back to the original question, who manufactures the components of laptop? the answer is "components suppliers". Usually these components are manufactured under the contract with exclusive clause to minimize the financial risk for component suppliers and to protect techinical advantage of the ordering company. That is why an individual cannot easily buy the laptop components, except for a fairly standarlised items, such as memory module, HDD and CD/DVD drives.

Sager owners are able to buy pretty much every component of the notebook (case parts, screen, various internals) direct from Sager.

Yeah, most Laptops and components are designed by the brand selling them i.e. IBM and then manufactured exclusively for them by another company. Just like nVidia and ATi GPUs. They design the chips but Taiwan Semiconductor manufactures them. It doesn't make the Notebook/ GPU any less the brand's product.

Back