browser extension for plain text links

msde

Weaksauce
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=190&vid=566

I'm sure most of the firefox users already know about this one, but it saves me a cut and paste for this forum.

Why are you posting this in the Hot deals/ free stuff section? It should go under software.

this is the only forum where links are required to be plain text, so it seemed appropriate.

Did you not think that maybe, just maybe they are required to be plain text for a reason? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SKYY
Whenever you post a [freebie item], make sure you uncheck the box by "Automatically parse URLs: automatically adds [url} and [/url] around internet addresses." so that people have to cut-and-paste the address to visit the deal's link. This is so that it doesn't appear to the site that all the deal exploiters are coming from the [H].

More specifically--so that hardforum.com isn't seen as the referrer to the deal's page.

If you don't understand, just do it anyway!!

Here is an image, showing just what to do:

Remember--if you want these deals to last longer, don't give people clickable links.

Thank you for your time.

Kadarom Douhrek said:
Did you not think that maybe, just maybe they are required to be plain text for a reason? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I don't see why you're quoting the policy. This extension is a good complement to the policy.

I am unispired and mildy perplexed by this, uh, freebie.

The software section would be a far more suitable location I'd think.

how is it complementing it, if its making it so u can click it, therefor nulling the no clickable links...

thebliX said:
how is it complementing it, if its making it so u can click it, therefor nulling the no clickable links...
Theres a very good reason why your not suppose to post it as a link. :rolleyes:

thebliX said:

The only reason it isn't clickable to begin with is to strip the HTTP referrer tag. Unless you change the default settings on this extension, the referrer tag won't be there and you can click on deals.

Johnny Lightning said:
The software section would be a far more suitable location I'd think.

I guess you could ask a mod to move it there. However, this extension is only relevant to the freebie board, and I'd never see something buried in a board of no interest to me.

msde said:
The only reason it isn't clickable to begin with is to strip the HTTP referrer tag. Unless you change the default settings on this extension, the referrer tag won't be there and you can click on deals.

Well then, I guess this does make things a bit easier (as in being able to click instead of having to copy and paste).

msde said:
I guess you could ask a mod to move it there. However, this extension is only relevant to the freebie board, and I'd never see something buried in a board of no interest to me.

You have a point, the only people who would care might be those who could use this and look in the Freebies section. I've always considered a freebie to be more tangible or more wildly applicable where as this applies to a specific software issue. But this is free. Now I'm curious what'll happen when a mod chooses whether to leave it here or move this thread.

There is no referer 'tag'

click the your own link up there, and right click and select View Page Info. Notice the referring URL.

Back