broken stripe - need help

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
yesterday a friend of mine called me and told me he had a problem and couldn't access his data anymore, so i went to his place and had a look at his computer: some old epox board (kt133a) with an onboard (highpoint hpt370, i think) raid controller on board. his OS was on another old IBM DTLA drive, so booting into windows was no problem.

after POST the HPT370's boot menu shows the stripe to be 'broken' and suggests it is a HDD failure. so i downloaded IBM/hitachis drive fitness test, checked for errors on both HDDs and found on the secondary one a couple of corrupted clusters, which the utility was able to repair (after another scan both drives are reported to be ok now). however, the bloody RAID controller still says the stripe is 'broken'.

now: the only option i have, as far as i know, is to rebuild the array - that is to build a new one, as there is no rebuild option - within the controllers boot menu, but i think i'll screw all the data ramaining on the drive, right? any other option i have if i want to save his data? or will the data remain untouched if i set both drives up as a new raid0 array with exactly the same size?

any help would be grand, thanks in advance

whatever possesed him to use a RAID0 for storage and a stand alone HDD for the OS?

thats bass ackwards

you might have (have had) a shot with Diskpatch
but its primarilly for partition table repair, (if that was what was corrupted) with those bad sectors lockedout, the array is probably sort of like a dubbed KungFu movie with the soundtrack 2 seconds late. There are recovery services, but talk about expensive. Hope he has at least partial backup

Good Luck

I think you may need it

Originally posted by Ice Czar
whatever possesed him to use a RAID0 for storage and a stand alone HDD for the OS?

thats bass ackwards

yeah - i'd even call it plain dumb ;)

thanks for the info, czar. i'll give that programm a shot before messing with anything else. one question: it's a sure shot all data will be screwed once i try to rebuild the array, right?

I think you may need it

actually i don't really care - but it'd be the worst day of my life if i was him, as he has no backup whatsoever... stupid? ... YEAH!

I would think that if sectors have been locked out on one of the drives, and the array is rebuilt, any residual stripes that may have been read otherwise (with a direct scan recovery tool), would then be out of sync and thus unrecoverable

but this is just deadreckoning on my part, I could be wrong
Ive been wrong before (dont tell kyle :p ) and will certainly be wrong again

Back