"BF2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close..." everytime

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
everytime lately when I play battlefield 2 and then quit out and then try to get back in, the Battlefield 2 loading screen will come up and then it will go away and the error that says "BF2.exe has encountered an error and need to close..." I have to restart computer to be able to get back in. So when I do, and then quit out later I can't get back in cause after I click BF2 icon the battlefield 2 screen will come up and then the error again. I tried reinstalling the game, but the same thing. Also, sometimes it takes like 3 or 4 times of double-clicking the bf2 icon before the battlefield 2 screen/logo or whatever even comes up. What should I do? I gonna try to download the full 1.21 patch instead of the incremental ones. Any suggestions.

um. uninstall the game and clean your registry. use registry mechanic it's worth the $$. then reinstall.

if that fails reformat

if that fails bomb Dice

Is there any kind of log somewhere in the game files that could shed light on it? Did you make any changes to your comp, hardware or software, before the problem started? You might need to do disk cleanup and defrag, or find out about deleting those cache files that it uses. I'm not up on that part, but worth researching.

What works for me is taking the cd out, popping it back in.. I have no clue why but it works every time.

I opted just to try and repair windows, but got hung up on "installing devices" so I had to frickin reformat and redo all my programs and such which is a pain in the ass, but if it fixes my problem/s I will be happy. I don't this what seems like uncountable times so its not that big of a deal, a couple hours out of my normal pc life.

Dutt1113 said:
I opted just to try and repair windows, but got hung up on "installing devices" so I had to frickin reformat and redo all my programs and such which is a pain in the ass, but if it fixes my problem/s I will be happy. I don't this what seems like uncountable times so its not that big of a deal, a couple hours out of my normal pc life.

Welcome to Windows, eh? :D We've all been there, bud.

True, I should pray to some Windows god, because I really don't want to do a reformat/reinstall of EA, Steam, etc etc. EVER, on my current rig. *knocking on wood*

Wow, I'm surprised you got an error message. Generally BF2 crashes are never accompanied by a message at all. Generally the 1.21 will fix it, I noticed it fixed a lot of crash to desktop problems.

@I'm the Dude, man: There are no log files with Battlefield 2. None. Nada. How bad is that? Its like they knew the game was gonna crap itself, so left out error reporting to not reveal the extent of its problems. Which sucks, cause when Battlefield crashes for no reason, you're left in the dark as to how it happened. Thats why no one really has a clue as how to troubleshoot Battlefield 2 problems.

Oh, and BTW Registry Cleaner is not worth money. I'm sorry, but it doesn't do the wonderful job it claims to do, and registry tweaks/cleanups will not fix Battlefield 2 issues, it is purely game-engine related.

4keatimj said:
@I'm the Dude, man: There are no log files with Battlefield 2. None. Nada. How bad is that? Its like they knew the game was gonna crap itself, so left out error reporting to not reveal the extent of its problems. Which sucks, cause when Battlefield crashes for no reason, you're left in the dark as to how it happened. Thats why no one really has a clue as how to troubleshoot Battlefield 2 problems.

Yeah, so, you're a little wrong. There is a folder called "Dmp" in the My Documents\BF2 folder somewhere. When BF2 crashes it writes this .dmp file. HOWEVER I don't think it does any good as far as I can tell. So BF2 DOES write a crash log but no one understands it. LOL

I also agree that cleaning the registry won't "fix" BF2. It may make your entire system run a bit better but it won't fix anything.

no just make sure you clean the reg after Uninstalling the game b/c Bf2 has an issue when you don't it will not run sometimes.

I try to run battlefield 2 and I can hear the cd drive try to read the disk for a second and then it stops and I get the error message, "BF2.exe has encountered a problem and has to close.." I have to restart comp and then it will run. When I exit/quit out and try again, the error message." Battlefield use to run awesome and it seems like recently it doesn't want to run at all. Why can't they just get out all/majority of the bug before they release a game or at least have way to trouble shoot it. I tried reformating/reinstalling windows, then reinstalling battlefield 2 after I do registry cleaner. I don't get it. Thats the only game that messes up and gives me trouble.

Okay, how about looking in Event Viewer in your Adminstrative Tools? There may be some useful information as it might log the event in there. YOu'll just have to decipher what it means. Every now and then Event Viewer actually helps solve stuff with windows.

Could it be some incompatibility with the copy protection and is optical drive? Try and locate a no-cd patch and see if that helps. Just make sure to back up whatever file that get's changed so you can put it back for the next update.

Back