Best TV card?

im sure theres loads of other threads that say this, but my Leadtek tv2000 expert works just fine. great picture, good recording options and a fm radio too. sorted. paid £45 for mine, and it has nicam stereo sound. Good at tuning itself in too which saves a lot of messing around.

Even years after it's release, the old Matrox G400 (or G400MAX) is the best TV-Out card around.
It doesn't compete with modern cards for 3D gaming, but for a HTPC, it's still a sought after card for it's TVO capabilities.

Even FiringSquad recently posted an article on how all modern cards are still compared to G400 for this use.
I still use my old G400 in my HTPC for the sole reason that it's TVOut surpasses anything else on the market today...
http://forums.matroxusers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46368

If I were to find a G400 how do I use the TVout? I didn't see one on the card, would I use a VGA-to-Whatever converter?

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
If I were to find a G400 how do I use the TVout? I didn't see one on the card, would I use a VGA-to-Whatever converter?

There is a breakout cable that came with the card that attaches to the secondary output that takes care of TVOut. If you have the card, but not the cable, it is available quite cheaply from Matrox's on-line shop.

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to have take a trip over to eBay.
Cool you can still get them off of matrox's site.

hiya can i like hijack ur thread? im also looking into a tv card.

my requirements im in uk so :
radio
digi tv
free view channels
sky tv? i think my mate has a proper card and he can get them *german* channels ;p but he has that motorised dish so can get east side and west side channels :D.
record to hd
remote control too
pci card interface
is it only just the antenna areial connector at the back, i seen some come with usb and scart, firewire,etc
it will come the software right? how does the software actually work?
i heard, a circle status icon in task bar with
- red, on and no signal
- yellow on but no data
- green on and receivng data

yes i been looking at hauppage site too it comes down to a nova or a nexus? but i dno the diffrences apart from pricing? nexus i think will cater for me needs.

Yes, that's the breakout cable.
To be clear, G400 does not have a tuner. I was refering to it as a TVOut card, not a reciever or capture device.

Back