Best non agp card?

I know there is also a GF4MX PCI and I think an FX5200 on PCI (or I remember one being in the works.) I'm not sure how either of these would do against a 9100.

e_t

edit: I was right, Creative, PNY, I/O Data are making 5200 PCI cards. I belive this is your only DX9 option (I wouldn't hold my breath on DX9 anything running worth a crap, however.)

I am one of the unlucky few damned without an AGP slot. I've owned many PCI cards and the fastest is the 8500 PCI. But they are pretty rare and I ended up with a 9100 PCI which is just a slightly downclocked 8500. Got it at Tiger Direct for $50.

Diamond Stealth 64 V-Ram

It is a kick ass card in Doom (DOS) that came on both PCI and AGP if I recall correctly. Drivers are somewhat problematic though, but if you get one I might be able to supply you with the stock driver...have to look in my junk box ;)

There is a Diamond site up now at www.diamondmm.com but they haven't supplied any dl's for their old cards. As far as I am concerned I am not buying anything they make until they are at least willing to post their old drivers :mad:

Im sorry but who the fuck would spend 700 bucks on a PCI card

its not even PCI express :-/

scues my language but i almost gaged when i saw that

it has 256mb of memory and tri monitor display....
doesnt that sound like way overkill for a PCI card which will be bottlenecked by the PCI bus?

for that price you could get a new mobo, processor and possibly even a 9800xt or 5950 ultra

They're catering to a niche market... which one, I dunno...
I could see 64 or 128megs on a 3 display PCI card, but 256?

I've gotta do some math, frame buffer for 3 displays @ 1600x1200x32...

the 256MB may be almost entirely used as framebuffer for high res 2d for extended desktop.

the parhelia can do surrond view...which I here is very cool. As to why its pci? so you can use it with an agp card.

and he did answer the guys question...its defintly a powerful non-agp card ;)

as to that bfg card. I don't know if that extra ram would do a singlething.

i second Radeon 9100 PCIs. remember that when you put a graphics card on the pci bus, it's not how fast the GPU is, it's how efficient the GPU can utilize the bandwidth cap of 133MB/s of the pci 33mhz bus.

Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI is very good. 400Mhz Ramdac and dual screen capable.(one digital one analog)

If your going to spent like $150 I would suggest getting a new modern motherboard, atleast then that $150 could go towards getting a 9600XT or something.

the gffx 5200's suck horribly, so don't bother with one of those - especially that 256 meg pile of crap. figure that when using agp the extra 128 is wasted on the card, so shifting to pci would make the extra ram even more useless.

a 9100pci is your best bet.

btw, i've never seen or heard of an 8500 pci before. there was one company that was selling a pci 7500 (i want to say it was either FIC or Powercolor) a while back and plenty of companies selling 7000/7200 pci's, but nobody selling 8500's in pci flavor.

granted the 9100 is the same damned thing, but clocked a bit slower, but still - they're sold as 9100's, not 8500's.

Back