Best Motherboard for Upcoming Prescott?

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you think is the best motherboard for the upcoming prescott?

Will ABiT , Asus and other big Mobo manufacturer release new motherboards especially for the 478 socket P4 Prescott?
I'm planning to buy a 2.8E or 3.4E and I'd prefer to wait for new motherboards if they're going to be any

Yea i understand but check my sig.
I run an old Celeron 600mhz because I sold my other system.
LGA775 might be release only in summer..or mayeb not but I highly need a new system.

If i wait until march 29 and they delay it (amd 939 socket and intel lga 775) i'd be way too pissed hehe

You've apparently waited this long, a few more months won't kill you...lol.

On the other hand, DDR-II is going to be expensive as hell. I say wait another week or so to see how well the Prescott's OC before making a decision. Other than that I can recommend the p4c800-e deluxe.

Originally posted by Koslov
Yea i understand but check my sig.
I run an old Celeron 600mhz because I sold my other system.
LGA775 might be release only in summer..or mayeb not but I highly need a new system.

If i wait until march 29 and they delay it (amd 939 socket and intel lga 775) i'd be way too pissed hehe

Plus, even if it came out march 29th, the price might not be too attractive. New stuffs are always coming out. If you want to wait, you will wait in a forever cycle.

However, please do wait till the first week or two of February. Big price cuts are coming then (meaning do not pre-order anything). :)

Chances are, the Socket 478 Prescott is going to stink, just like the Socket 423 or 478 Williamette. With the LGA socket will come more opportunities to upgrade later on, but with upgradability comes the initially high cost of PCI Express and DDR-II products. I would expect the buyer of the Socket 775 Prescott to pay at least $200 more for the RAM and video than someone who bought the same speed Prescott for a DDR/AGP platform.

But by going with the i925X Alderwood chipset, your future proofing, so that system will NOT be outdated untill at least 2nd half of 2005. 478 mobos will be out dated this April. I say please just wait 9 weeks, then make your buying decision.

I think it depends on what you already have.

I have, for instance, an Abit IC7-G I've had since about the last time Intel did a state-of-the-art upgrade from Granite Bay. I question, "What does the new set of motherboards bring to the table to make me want to upgrade my motherboard along with the CPU?"

1) PCI Express
2) DDR2
3) Better, more mature use of SerialATA
4) Wireless Access Point
5) New socket, good future

PCI Express will be nice, no doubt about it. But there are no PCIExpress cards out now. No sound cards, no video cards, no network, RAID, or any other kind of PCIExpress cards. Which means that I'll be investing 200+ dollars into a motherboard for its ability to force me to have to buy a new video card when all indications are that AGP8x video cards will be out for a while yet before any PCIExpress video cards show up.

DDR2 is going to be expensive because it will be in short supply. DDR2 isn't going to be facing the problem that DDR did; there won't be a RDRAm it needs to be priced lower than. Memory makers will end up showing their true colors, wanting more money to help pay for later when they will cut costs. Expect to see sky-high prices for even the most modest amounts of memory. Expect an additional 100 dollars for this "fringe benefit" of upgrading. The FSB won't be fast enough to support the jump to this speed either.

I love my IC7-G's ability to use Serial ATA. Sure, I'd love to have both of my RAID's on the Intel BUS, helping to take some strain off the delipidated PCI bus, but still... its not that bad. The only thing on my PCI bus is the RAID and my sound card.

Already have a Netgear router and a wireless one at that.

So we come to the last argument, the future one. So do I pay 200 dollars or less for just about as much performance with Prescott and my current i875 and DDR or experiment with a whole host of new technologies with higher latency memories, untested video card interfaces (lord knows ATI had a bad enough time last year with the R9700 Pro's and AGP8x), and a larger socket at 200 or more for the CPU + 200 or more for the motherboard + 400-500 for the video +200-300 for the memory.

Which one is the better investment? Buying all new hardware now when its untested or buying just a new CPU when the motherboard is going to be just a bit faster than what is already available?

200 vs 1000-1200. Seems obvious to me which I'd choose.

Besides. Technology doesn't change overnight and outdate staples of itself.

Examples

Floppy drive - yeah its STILL around

PS2 ports - still around

Even ISA can be found on some boards. PCI express is not going to force an upgrade for quite some time I'm sure.

Processor speeds most likely wont' force an upgrade either. The majority of users are for word processing, internet surfing and a 4Ghz computer isn't going to be worth upgrading from say a 2Ghz processor. No major apps forcing major upgrades besides games.

What will force an upgrade is the changing of the socket. Look at those poor Socket 423 users topped out at 2Ghz, and Socket 478 will be topped at 3.4Ghz. The new Socket T will most likely take you to 4.5-5Ghz.

Simply put, don't upgrade because you think the upcoming prescott is going to be one bad ass processor because the reality is 3.4Ghz and its done. And if its prescott you want I recommend waiting for the Socket T version.

If you want to upgrade now, an 865 board and a 2.4C+ are more cost effective in the long run. It should be satisfactory for 2-3 years. I hate to see these people spending like 3500 on an alienware or falcon just to have super speed only to find less than a year later its average for their intented use (gaming) and they still owe 1500-2000 on it. Just isn't smart.

trust me i would realy want to wait until march-april to upgrade but I need a new computer before that.Let's not forget roadmap are nothing set in stone. They could push the LGA775 socket release date by 2-3months.I know it's sucks for me to upgrade now because of the new technologies coming supposily soon.

I have a a few choices..

I could buy a 2500+ Barton @ 3200+ on a Abit NF7-S with 1GB of Value PC3200 Ram and Radeon 9600xt
(or same setup but with a AMD64 3000+ on a Shuttle A50NR)

or in a few days /week,

P4 Prescott 2.8E w/ SP94+Tornado 92mm , 1GB Corsair PC3500 Ram and Radeon 9800 pro 128mb

Back