Best CRT on the market?

Gl0bal

Weaksauce
Simply put, I'm looking for a 20 inch viewable CRT, lowest dot pitch possible (.21 or .22), and capable of doing 1600x1200@85. The monitor im currently using is a Sony GDM-5411 (the SGI one). Decent monitor, but the dot pitch on it is .24 . From reading some posts on the forum it seems that that's what people consider good. Unfortunately I bought the Sony after using a Hitachi CM751 for about 6 years. It wasn't a flat screen but the dot pitch was .22 . After using it for so long I can easily tell the difference between the two.

So recently I've been trying to find a better 21 or 22 inch to replace the Sony with. I've looked at the NEC monitors and the ones on their site only show a .24 dot pitch. Viewsonic is also a favorite amongst my local friends, but their monitor specs are a little more confusing. Some say .24 dot pitch, some say .24 at center, or some are .21 horizontal and .24 vertical.

The most appealing monitor I have seen to replace my Sony with is the Hitachi CM821F. It's 20 inch viewable and .21 dot pitch. The catch is that it is discontinued and comes in at a pricey $815 at the few sites that still have it. The Viewsonics average at 500$ for their top end ones, not like I can understand their specs anyway.

Are there any other monitors out there that I'm overlooking here? Price doesn't matter really as long as its under $1000. Monitors are good investments :)

Gl0bal

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you a graphics guy? You seem way way too obsessive over the dot pitch.

The absolute best CRT is most likely the Sony F520 21 incher. It has a .21 pitch I think, but it rings in at $1500, which is my monitor 5 times over.

The NEC FP2141 is nice, but of course, doesn't fit in with your desires.

How about the Sony G520?

The reason I want a low dot pitch monitor is because when im using the Hitachi side by side with my Sony, the Hitachi is crisp compared to the blurry Sony. Whenever I'm doing stuff on the Sony I just feel like im going blind cuz the text simply isn't clear.

The G520 is also a .24dp . The F520 is a .22, it says its "virtually flat", whatever that means, but it has a $1600 price tag regardless.

Back