Best CD > .mp3 codec?

DatHak512

Gawd
currently i'm using LAME 3.93.1 using an extraction program called "poikosoft" which i think is great, but i'd like to hear anyone else's oppinion on which codec they think is the best, or hell, which program they like the best. thanks all...

I use the LAME codec same as you, but by far the best extraction program is Exact Audio Copy. EAC Hope this is helpful.

good deal, i'm downloading that now. (dial up:( ). i'll let you know how that works out, since i have a pile of CDs i need to rip somewhere around here....!

One note on EAC - do not use paranoid mode in drive options, use secure mode. If you choose to use C2 error correction with your drive, consult the web to see how accurate the C2 functionality is. Inaccurate C2 is worse than not using it at all.

Here's a simple EAC setup guide.
A later LAME version does not necessarily mean it's better, just quicker to encode. 3.90.3 is the "gold standard" for verified quality, but 3.95 is significantly faster.
edited number added clarification

just wondering... is there any way to update the LAME codec without downloading the application all over again, or switching to a new one? i mean is it as simple as just replacing a file?

Originally posted by DatHak512
just wondering... is there any way to update the LAME codec without downloading the application all over again, or switching to a new one? i mean is it as simple as just replacing a file?
It's always worked that way for me (replacing).

ahh... no kiddin', huh? i never knew that. is there a good site that anyone would recomend for downloading the new codecs?
--tnx

Back