Been converted over to the evil side.

shefron

Limp Gawd
Ok got the scsi figured out and installed.
I will never be going back to IDE for my main drive. This is only a 10k u160 drive. I can't wait for my raid u320 later this year.

Dam this is alot faster.

it's great stuff, isn't it?

i hear the WD Raptor is a pretty fast drive, and an extraordinary value. although, it's not quite as fast as the new 15K SCSI drives.

With the SCSI added, does your system take longer to boot up/reboot? I know that when I added SCSI to my older Win98 machine (for SCSI burner and CDROM), it took quite a bit longer to boot up.

Just about 2 seconds longer while it scans the scsi bus but I should be able to disable that some where in the settings.

You could get rid of that by disabling the scsi bios, but then you wouldn't be able to boot off scsi. It has to find the drives in order to boot off of them.

BTW, we're the *good* guys, ok? IDE is the dark side. They even have a Deathstar. Actually make that a few million of them. Mostly dead ones of couse.

I've been running SCSI since 1993 when I bought my first computer,an Amiga 3000. All my machines since then have had SCSI as the boot drives.

The initial boot up on my server and my internet machines takes longer than restarts since I have it set to spin up the drives as it detects them. Makes it easier on the power supply than to spin up 4+ drives at the same time.

The only thing I like about IDE is the prce/gig. IDE can't be beat really when comparing the price of one IDE drive vs one SCSI drive.
Oh, and all the machines have IDE and SCSI drives in them and they all work together flawlessly.

Back