Bad hardware or bad configurations?

The system in my sig is producing horrible performance. My fps is extremely low in all games (take my word for it so i wont have to list). Myself and others have tried to figure out the problem for a few weeks now and have had no success. After reformatting i installed SP1 and dx9.0b, installed chipset drivers, installed GPU drivers, updated some minor things and installed a few games and software etc. Theres no programs running in the background. My BIOS are updated. Tried messing with RAM timings with little to no difference. Ran sandra benchmarks on cpu which were fine; ran 3dmark2003 and got around 5400.

oh uh XP pro

i've also tried running my same system with a GF4 Ti4800 and had the same results

My friend had horrible performance with that Vid card when he first got it too.

he has a 2500 Barton on an Abit NF7-S mb (updated bios).

Turns out that the bios was autodetecting the AGP type as 0x. He manually set it to 8x and solved the problem. Now his system screams...

Probably not going to solve your problem, but it just might...

Also, what games? Is the performance always the same?

The reason I ask is that when you play some games online, they have settings which cap your FPS to match your connection speed.

UT2K3 for instance does that...

Other things to check:

your IDE controller is set to UDMA Mode 5?
If not maybe you're not using a ATA100 cable to connect your hard drive?

Check for hardware / IRQ conflicts (yellow exclamation mark icon) in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Other than that, it sounds like you're making some kind of newb mistake because your hardware should run great using default settings right out of the box.

Last resort, have you tried resetting the CMOS on your mobo and seeing how it runs under default settings for everything? It should be fast enough without tweaking anything.

I have a suggestion! Open the side of your PC and fill it with tiny magnets. It really improves performance and does wonders for your saved data.:D

space_monkey got me thinking with that cable, can any1 name some stupid mistake like that i could be overlooking? perhaps another cable that could be old/faulty i could check

Back