AV Scanner for Linux?

Why do you need an antivirus? The only real reason to have one is if you're running a mail server and you want to scan mail that goes through for potential viruses.

Off the top of my head...and I"m not sure whether any of these are free or not:
F-Secure scanner for Linux
Trend Micro File Scanner for Linux
Frisk F-Prot (I think free for personal use)
Clam AV
Vexira

I never considered setting up AV for my Slackware system....now I am worried. :(

BillLeeLee said:
Why do you need an antivirus? The only real reason to have one is if you're running a mail server and you want to scan mail that goes through for potential viruses.
Whoa..take a look folks, this is the mentality we'll be fighting in a few years when linux desktops become a target for virii and such.

If you have a computer hooked up to the internet, you damn well better be going through some kind of firewall, and if you don't have an AV on your system, well, I don't know what to tell you. If that past few years haven't taught you anything, then there is little I can say to suddenly show you the light.

Yeah I know, I'm in this pretty irrational mindset since most viruses/worms are coded targetting Windows, while Linux viruses are still generally proof-of-concept or have died quick deaths. Of course, with viruses targetting ELF binaries, and the increasing threat from trojan horses, I guess I should stop being idiotic. :p

Well, I guess I'll be emerging clamav now.

Back