ATI: No more HL2 with 9600XT

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Link from front page.
Am I the only one sick and tired with ATi's BS? First it was if you bought a 9600/ 9800Pro you got the HL2 voucher, then they quickly switched it to the XT series and now you can only get it with the 9800XT? I would have to say that for $500 I'll be damn if I didn't get something else in the box other then a manual. Talk about lack of foresight. This is almost as bad as Nvidia bungling the NV30/35!

Uh, not bundling a coupon for a video game is almost as bad as misjudging an entire industries willingness (or unwillingness, in this case) to follow nVidias own vision of video card programming perameters in favor of microsofts?
Perspective.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
This is almost as bad as Nvidia bungling the NV30/35!

Uh, not even close.

Cant please everyone. Some people cry about HL2 not being out, and the coupon is useless. Now some people will cry about they not giving it out for lower end cards.

Do you think ATi knew HL2 was going to be delayed? No.

i don't blame em. especcially since the game's not out yet and it's in question of a release date. and they're handing out free game that they're going to pay for. i expect to see it again when half-life 2 is more solid.

Link from front page.
Am I the only one sick and tired with ATi's BS? First it was if you bought a 9600/ 9800Pro you got the HL2 voucher, then they quickly switched it to the XT series and now you can only get it with the 9800XT? I would have to say that for $500 I'll be damn if I didn't get something else in the box other then a manual. Talk about lack of foresight. This is almost as bad as Nvidia bungling the NV30/35!

well actually it was XT's that were gonna get HL2 first, then it was extended to Pro's, but that was really up to manufacturers, and now its just 9800XT's, some manufacturers still are giving it away with some 9600XT's though

Say the news blurb on the front page and I with draw my complaint since ATI gave an answer. I still think it was idiotic to bundle a game that wasn't even out yet or to even make the anouncement before the game showed up on the shelfs.
Thanks Brent I wasn't aware of that. (stupid me)

I was kinda upset that I bouight my 9800 pro, and on the website at the time it said I would get a voucher. No voucher for me... I even emailed ATI, and the guy was kinda a dick, because I showed him the direct paragraph that said I should get a voucher and he was just like "No."

Oh well, it's still a good card.

Say the news blurb on the front page and I with draw my complaint since ATI gave an answer. I still think it was idiotic to bundle a game that wasn't even out yet or to even make the anouncement before the game showed up on the shelfs.
Thanks Brent I wasn't aware of that. (stupid me)

Well, the game WAS supposed to be out Sept. They didnt put the coupon in there till about a month before the game was to be out. Then the game would be included in the box, after the game was out.

It sounded like a good idea, until the game got delayed. The delay REALLY hurt ATi's sales I think. Looking back, it wasnt a good idea. But Im sure they got assured that it would be out on time. If it had been, it would have bolstered sales even more. Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Originally posted by fallguy
It sounded like a good idea, until the game got delayed. The delay REALLY hurt ATi's sales I think. Looking back, it wasnt a good idea. But Im sure they got assured that it would be out on time.
I don't see how it hurt their sales, despite HL2 not beeing released I think their sales have actually grown more (I haven't checked the current sales figures yet). But to play devils advocate :D when nvidia started the CoD bundle is was after the game was released (or shipping). I don't think this has anything to do with hindsight, instead it was a move to captialize on the Shader's Day benchmarks which I believe to be just alittle ingenuos. ;)

I just bought an ASUS 9600XT, it has a coupon in the box with a key that needs to be scratched off like a lottery ticket.

Am I to understand that if I go to their website and enter the serial number that came with my card I won't be receiving HL2? Cause I don't want to scratch this, and then find out I don't get HL2 and not be able to return the card.

No, the whole thing is that now, if you buy a new Ati 9600XT, there will be no HL2 voucher in the box. The vouchers people have now will still be valid, unless ATi wants a mass riot on their hands (and if and when HL2 actually does finally hit the street).

Thanks for the confirmation, I got a little worried =). A lot of the reason I bought the 9600XT was HL2.

I wonder if this means the price will come down?

Originally posted by fallguy
Uh, not even close.

Cant please everyone. Some people cry about HL2 not being out, and the coupon is useless. Now some people will cry about they not giving it out for lower end cards.

Do you think ATi knew HL2 was going to be delayed? No.

Umm... Yeah I do .. Have you check out the Leak? ROFL It wasn't close to be done .. Good Marketing plan though! Got Everyone to buy Radeons after the shader day bench's and put in hl2 for free, damn even though they knew the game wouldn't come out intime. Then they have enough time to do it all over again when there next gen cards come out.. come on man use your brain some times....

Originally posted by Creizai
Umm... Yeah I do .. Have you check out the Leak? ROFL It wasn't close to be done .. Good Marketing plan though! Got Everyone to buy Radeons after the shader day bench's and put in hl2 for free, damn even though they knew the game wouldn't come out intime. Then they have enough time to do it all over again when there next gen cards come out.. come on man use your brain some times....

News flash: The "leak" was only part of the source code. How anyone can go by that is beyond me.

But hey, way to act mature by trying to insult me. :rolleyes:

The delay REALLY hurt ATi's sales

What planet are you on there sales for 2003 were through the roof mainly because nvidia still cant compete with them as yet.But maybe this year ay:D

Take a good look around the net in general and have a looksee at just how many people are using Radeons now and its got nothing to do with that hl2 Hype its called better hardware better support;)

Originally posted by @trapine
What planet are you on there sales for 2003 were through the roof mainly because nvidia still cant compete with them as yet.But maybe this year ay:D

Take a good look around the net in general and have a looksee at just how many people are using Radeons now and its got nothing to do with that hl2 Hype its called better hardware better support;)

And how many more would have one if the game was out on time, and actually bundled with a ATi card? More than there is now.

Are you sure that link is accurate? Still on the ATi site:

Special Offer:
When you buy the new RADEON™ 9800 XT or RADEON™ 9600 XT you will get a FREE copy of Half-Life® 2 once the game is released and available through retail. Until then, Valve and ATI are offering the Valve Premier Pack free, which includes the games: Half-Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force and Ricochet. This is a limited time bonus offer that expires once Half-Life 2 is available.

http://www.ati.com/gitg/promotions/halflife2/index.html

on a side note, the leak didnt occur until after ATi started putting vouchers in the 9600XT and 9800XT...its not their fault some fag stole the source code...damn him.

btw this isn't an ATI thing, its a decision that is made per manufacturer

here is an update on the front page:

Editor's Note: ATI sent this along to us to further clarify the statements made on PowerColor's page as it does not tell the whole story.

From Patricia Mikula of ATI PR: "I thought I would clarify. When the program began in October ATI included the Half-Life 2 bundle automatically and without charge with all RADEON 9800 and RADEON 9600 series products sold to our board partners. Beginning in December board partners had the option of purchasing the bundle from ATI for a small fee with all RADEON 9800 and RADEON 9600 series products except the RADEON 9800 XT which continued to include the bundle without charge. So, there hasn't been any change in the availability to our partners and they all have the option to continue with the bundle or not. We are working with our board partners to make sure they are being completely clear which products include the bundle and which do not."

So all in all, if you buy a PowerColor product that does not have the game included, that is PowerColor's product decision, not ATI's.

Really though, ATi had to suspect the game would be delayed.

It did seem a very early to be bundling a game that has not been released yet.

A better idea might be to start bundling coupons when the game goes gold (about two weeks before it hits the shelf) When the game is actually available, forego the coupon altogether and just put the game inside the box. It could go in whatever line of videocard is the newest at the time.

I am a little worried that the pre-bundling scheme might make developers try to get the game out too quickly (obviously this is not the case with HL2)

I'm not a huge fan of bundling a dozen old games with a new top-end videocard either... But its ok for the bargain cards.

Link from front page.

ATI should have called it the vaporware voucher.

I got a feeling when HL2 eventually comes out, who knows when, it's impact won't be nearly as great as it would have been if it had come out in 2003.

I feel bad for people who upgraded their machines for vaporware.

lol I got a copy of Delta Force Black Hawk down and a HL2 voucher with my 9600XT, I do do well in getting excellent equipent at the right time, watch me closely, if you dont, you'll miss out lol and let me tell you a lot of people dont give a damn about what I think and as a result I cash in while the gettin's good

I wouldn't worry about it, Half-Life 2 is never coming out. It would be nice if they hit their FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSERY of HL1 in Nov 2004, but I'm not holding my breath.

. . . openly kicking Valve in the balls until they get their act together . . .

Back