ati linux drivers

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
has ati implemented D3TC on their linux drivers yet? their 'changelog' (or so they call it) doesn't mention it, or even that it is planned. i wanna play UT2k4 and NWN on my linux box, but i don't have any nvidia cards (other than a TNT 1/2, but i also have 8x agp on my linux box)

thanks.

Ati drivers will work with UT2004 and Neverwinter Nights, but nowhere near as well as they run in Windows cause ATi Linux drivers are crap.

BillLeeLee said:
..cause ATi Linux drivers are crap.

I'll second that. On my P4 2.8 w/FireGL X1 I get 15-20 fps in linux and 45-50 in XP with the same settings.

ati's linux drivers never fail to piss me off. UT2004 works just fine, though, on my radeon 8500le.

ATi says that the Linux problem will be fixed in "6 months." Maybe this time they can deliver, as they've been saying this for oh...the last few years?

I wish they could just steal the nvidia coders to write their drivers.

BillLeeLee said:
ATi says that the Linux problem will be fixed in "6 months." Maybe this time they can deliver, as they've been saying this for oh...the last few years?

I wish they could just steal the nvidia coders to write their drivers.
And by fix they probably mean repackage the same old shit and just bump up the version number again.

jpmkm said:
And by fix they probably mean repackage the same old shit and just bump up the version number again.
don't forget adding ID's for new hardware :D

sounds as if ever should one decide to build a computer specifcally for linux, one would be wise to buy a slightly older nvidia card ?

Yeah... nVidia's the way to go if you want the fastest 3d.

Radeon 7000/8500/9000/9100/9200 chips have decent support with Free/Open Source drivers, if you want to have a 'pure' system.

There's a bunch of other supported chipsets - nothing you'd use for gaming, but OK for the occassional 3d screensaver.

ameoba said:
Yeah... nVidia's the way to go if you want the fastest 3d.

Radeon 7000/8500/9000/9100/9200 chips have decent support with Free/Open Source drivers, if you want to have a 'pure' system.

There's a bunch of other supported chipsets - nothing you'd use for gaming, but OK for the occassional 3d screensaver.

any of you have experience with the geforce 3 ti's on linux ?

Mushroom Prince said:
any of you have experience with the geforce 3 ti's on linux ?

Used one a bit, but not extensively. I can, however, tell you that GF2, GF4mx, GF4 and GF5200s all work near flawlessly for extended periods of time. Considering the way nVidia's drivers are, I would hazard to guess taht, barring a specific bug, the GF3Ti would work just as well...

check out this thread. maybe we can convince ati to put out some good drivers. we'll see. but i may have to get an ati card (especially with this sli thing... mmm yummy)

i love my ati card under windows, but hate it under linux. i can't get the xfree drm drivers working nor can i get ati's drivers working :(

Back