Athlon 3200 Barton

tay829

Gawd
I have not built an AMD system since K6-2. I assume that like Intel based systems, it is ok to remove stock heatsink compound in lieu of something better?

Pardon my ignorance, but I just want to be sure.

Originally posted by tay829
You have got to be kidding me?

If you remove the stock heatsink fan or TIM, then you void your warranty. If you overclock, you also void your warranty.

You have got to be kidding me?

He's not kidding. In fact, that "3-year warranty" on retail-boxed CPUs - AMD or Intel - apply only if you use the stock heatsink and the stock TIM pad, and you keep the assembly on the very same motherboard for all three of those years (or up until the time your CPU needs warranty replacement, whichever is sooner). So, if you move your CPU onto another motherboard (which involves completely removing the heatsink from the CPU) because your first mobo crapped out, you have already voided your CPU's warranty.

This is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. I feel for the loyal AMD followers.

This is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. I feel for the loyal AMD followers.

In fact, the only way that even a reseller will honor their own warranty on an OEM CPU is if you use only an AMD-recommended (and AMD-certified) heatsink unit. Thus, if you buy any AMD or Intel CPU, and you use an overly large or overly heavy or otherwise non-manufacturer-approved heatsink unit with any liquid thermal material (such as Arctic Silver 5), then you're SOL as far as warranty claims are concerned. I've run into that very same problem with the first AXP 2000+, which crapped out (the one that I had run for over a year is actually my second 2000+ CPU). I tried returning the combo - but the reseller said "sorry, but you'll have to pay the full selling price for both the CPU and the heatsink to replace them".

If AMD and Intel knew that their own CPUs would be used with overly heavy, unapproved aftermarket heatsinks and unapproved thermal pastes or compounds (they approve only thermal TIM pads for their CPUs), then yeah, they might as well not put any warranty at all on their CPUs.

Back