n00b
ASUS K8V 64
AMD-64 3000
ASUS Radeon 9600 128
1Gb Mushkin Ram
Zalman CPU fan
XP PRO

Problem:

Built from scratch, everything new. Put together fine, installed OS and drivers with no problem. System ran for about an hour and rebooted itself. Checked ASUS probe and CPU and MB were at 89-90Degrees. shut it down let it sit for 5 min, and it wouldnt turn on, absolutely nothing happened when you hit the power button. Changed out power supplies and still nothing.

Finally gave up and took it to a local computer shop. Dignoses was that the CMOS jumpers were on the wrong pin AND the power supply (powmax 420W) was bad. Replaced power supply with a Zalman 400w.

System ran for exactly 7 days, then almost the same thing happened except that I was able to get it running after clearing the CMOS, ran for about 30 min then shut itself down, and now can't get it to power up again.

Both times I still get the green LED for power to the MB but when I hit the power button nothing happens. so far I am only assuming it is the power supply again but before I take any more action I wanted to check here to see if anyone knows what is going on.

someone was saying that with a 64 bit machine I would need a 500w power supply. Seems like overkill but this is my first 64 bit machine.

Thanks in advance

Jim

You should have plenty of power. Those Zalman supplies are basically rebadged Fortron/Source supplies with quieter fans.

One thing I have found on the K8V-Dlx is that for the nicer RAM, it would be in your best interest to manually set the timings for it. I had one in my shop on wednesday doing all sorts of weird stuff with a 1GB pack of Corsair Twinx3200c2 until I set those timings, just the 2-3-3-7 part... here's what i set the corsair at, which was rated at 2-3-3-7, set your mem timings according to mushkin's spec

CAS 2
tRCD 3
tRP 3
tRAS 7

Rest were Auto, For good measure, I bumped the vDimm voltage up to 2.7.

I'll try that and a few other things that I have read on this board.... my first problem to over come is getting it to come on at all.

If my PSU is bad (again) what causes that?

Thanks again.

Jim

Back