Asus K8V Deluxe/ Sata Question

dgkulzer

Weaksauce
Hello,
I just got me a K8V Deluxe that I am installing with no IDE hard drives, just SATA hard drives. I do not have these set up in any form of raid configuration.
The problem is that WinXP wont go through with the install because it cant find any of my hard drives. I have read that I would have to 'hit F6' when prompted about the SCSI drivers and install a driver then but what driver? Is this what I will have to do?
I downloaded "VIA_VT6420VT8237_SerialATA_V220d.zip" and unzipped it on a different computer. I just have no clue which files I need to put on the floppy???
Any help would be appreciated

Dave

Dave,
I had the same problem with my Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP. I'm assuming your motherboard also did not come with a floppy drive with the right drivers, correct? What a pain in the butt... these manufacturers have to do better. Are the files in the ZIP file larger than a floppy drive? If so, look for a particularly large install file, because it may be taking up the majority of the space. If you find it, move it somewhere else, and put the rest of the files on the floppy. Basically, if there is a "drivers" folder within that zip file, that's the folder with files that you want.

Jason

Thanks for the reply Jason,
I finally got it to work, I think the problem was that in the bios I had something set to raid, I had to have it set to IDE. After I changed that then I got it to work fine.

thanks again

Yep DG if your not in Raid you must set the Bios to IDE then install off of the floppy. Now listen to this on the ASUS SK8N you have to download the most current Driver for using SATA RAID because the drivers that come on the Motherboard Drivers disk will not work. And that statement came directly form ASUS themselves, luckily i figured that out on my own

Marcdaddy, I thought that I *had* set it to IDE but later when I went back it was set to raid. I think what I did was exit without saving changes.
This was actually the second dumbest thing I did while setting this computer up. The first was spending 5 minutes trying to figure out why I couldnt get my computer to power up, after checking all the wiring, the front switch etc I realized I didnt have the on/off switch on the back of the power supply set right. My last power supply did not have the switch so I kind of forgot about it on this one. Oh well.
As far as the drivers go, I try to make it a habit to download new drivers from hardware company webpages when I install new hardware, I dont use the drivers that come with the hardware very often.
My first impressions of the K8V deluxe are very favorable, rock solid so far. After going through 'memory hell' the last time I tried to set up a board with name brand ram, I was happy to see my 2 sticks of 512mb kingston value ram install without a hitch.
Thanks for the replies in helping me get this set up, before I got all my hardware in I read through the forum and looked at other peoples comments/problems and took notes so that my install would go as smoothly as possible. It ended up going even smoother than I had planned with only a few small problems so thanks to everyone on the board :)

Odd you haven't had a problem with the K8V Deluxe and ram. It absolutely hates my Corsair XMS3200. One stick it won't boot with, the other it works but I get constant hive failures (even to know it is hardware, not OS). Tisk tisk.. Need to find that compatibility listing.

Yar. Had I the time to wait on a board to ship to me, I'd have gotten the Abit. The Asus is solid, it just very picky about DIMMs. I've never had to make an ERD after every reboot caused by a hardware or software installation. Figures though, when you start making an ERD all the time...you don't get hive failure. If you ignore doing it, you get hive failure ALL the time. Setting manual settings on my Corsair seemed to correct the problems I was having before...it was automatically detecting the wrong CAS and timings.

Back