Asterisk question

draconius

2[H]4U
Well I assume that some of you here have used asterisk to setup a small phone system, correct? I have a question that i did not see answered on the site...can I use this for VoIP?? or do I have to buy one of those expensive ass cards for hooking up phones?? and if I do have to buy those cards, does anyone have anything against getting used ones off of ebay? (I'm cheep and this is for my house:D )

oh, also....is it possible for me to just plug in a regular modem or two into the box with asterisk on it and use that instead of the expensive card??
thanks in advance!

<edit...again>
I think i answered my own question, but i found a really sweet article about setting up asterisk at onlamp.com. check it

Are you wanting to do VoIP inside your house and use your regular POTS line to reach the outside world or are you wanting VoIP to the world???

VoIP in home and analog to the world. I got this figured out now.
I installed Mandrake 8.1 (only linux CD's I have laying around...too lazy to dl more :p). Installed Asterisk. got a phone that supports SIP, and whee. I have to buy an analog card to interface reg phone line..but I am going to try a modem and see if that works.

The 7960's are great phones. The last VoIP setup I did used those phones. We had them receiving stock quotes, weather forecasts, etc. I don't really see the point in all of that chincy stuff, but the exec's Love it...

woah now. heh. I am gonna have to read more about those phones. i just got them from a friend of mine who has a bunch he got out of the trash.
ill have to score me a manula off of cisco's site.

Back